Anyone Know the Cost Diffence in Awake Tummy Tuck and A Tummy Tuck in Tn ?

Anyone Know the Cost Diffence in Awake Tummy Tuck and A Tummy Tuck in TN?

Tummy Tuck

+1
Looking for savings in plastic surgery, particularly when it comes to safety is unwise. Anesthesia should be administered by board-certified anesthesiologist. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Costs of Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
In general, a revision costs less than the original tummy tuck, but this depends on the extent of the revision and what is being done.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Awake for a tummy tuck

+1

Yes, some very limited mini tummy tucks can be performed awake under local anesthesia. However,  a full tummy tuck with major work and abdominal tightening is best performed under general anesthesia.

I do not recommend cutting corners to save money.

It would be very difficult to get a good result under those circumstance and it is not necessarily safe.

Patient safety comes first.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck under Local Anesthesia?

+1

Yes, tummy tuck surgery can theoretically be performed under local anesthesia but I DO NOT recommend it. 

You will find that most plastic surgeons perform the operation under general anesthesia only.    The use of  Board Certified Anesthesiologists  who monitor patients from start to end  provides the safest environment for patients.  Abdominoplasty is an extensive procedure and I would recommend general anesthesia so that you are as comfortable as possible during the procedure.

I would suggest that you be very careful with your surgeon  selection;  most well trained experienced plastic surgeons would not do this procedure under local anesthesia.

The Cost Diffence in Awake Tummy Tuck and A Tummy Tuck in Tn ?

+1

Thank you for your question.  I am afraid that I do not know what the cost difference between local and general anesthesia would be in Tn.   While it is possible to perform a tummy tuck under local anesthesia I really do not think that it is a very good idea and have always advised my patients against it.  The reasons?  It is much more difficult to pull the abdominal muscles together under local anesthesia and of course, pain during the surgical procedure could also be a problem.  Best of luck.  Dr. Donald Brown

Donald M. Brown, MD

An Awake tummy tuck??

+1

I would not recommend that anyone proceed with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) under local anesthesia, no matter the cost.  Not only will the pain associated with the procedure be unnecessary, but plication or tightening of the muscles will be significantly compromised.  Other parts of the procedure may also be compromised because of inadequate anesthesia.

You should also carefully evaluate the credentials of any surgeon that you visit, but particularly any surgeon who proposes to do a tummy tuck under local anesthesia.  It is quite likely that such a "surgeon" is not really a plastic surgeon, but a doctor who is not able to perform the procedure in a facility capable of providing general anesthesia.  You should look for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Don't settle for a surgeon that is not trained appropriately just for cost.   You should also be sure that the operating room is appropriately certified.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Awake Tummy Tucks? Not A Good Choice!

+1

Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) surgery is best performed under General Anesthesia by a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in this procedure.  It is very important during a tummy tuck procedure that the abdominal wall muscles are relaxed in order to properly plicate the muscles with permanent sutures.  In awake tummy tucks, the muscle wall is not relaxed and this increases the risk of injury to the underlying abdominal organs during suture plication.  Be aware of doctors advertising awake tummy tucks!  They are most likely not plastic surgeons preying on unknowing patients.

Dr. Tachmes

Leonard Tachmes, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon