TCA Chemical Peel Safe for Under Eye Use?

I would like to do something to get rid of fine lines under my eyes. I have done an at-home 20% TCA peel on my entire face before, but I avoided the eye area. I also use Retin-A micro 0.1% gel, and I tried using this on my under eyes but it seemed to make the wrinkles 100 times worse. It also seems to have made my under eye skin thinner and take on a hollow appearance. I was thinking about doing an 8% TCA peel on my under eyes, or possibly my whole face so that it looks even. My concern is that the peel will thin the skin even more and they will look more hollow. Is it safe to use TCA Peel on this area?

TCA for lower eyelids

+5

I have used TCA for the lower eyelids with excellent results but it sounds as if this may be too aggressive for you given the thin skin you describe.

Retin-A may actually thicken the skin. I think your problem is twofold.

Gel is absorbed but it is incredibly drying. You may want to consider a cream preparation.

Retin-A can create the sensation of dry flaky skin.

To this end, I would recommend liberal use of moisturzing agents and slow but increasingly progressive applications of the Retin-A.

Low concentration TCA peel

+4

The skin of the upper and lower lid is much thinner than the rest of the face. If a TCA is to be used, a low concentration must be used and very few times only.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

TCA for lower lids is effective, but have your doctor do it

+3

Loooreee, TCA peels are very effective for the lower lids. However, if you are considering anything more than the concentrations that you have already tried at home, then you should have your doctor do it. We commonly do 25% and 35% lower lid TCA peels in the office and have great results. It takes about a week for the skin to heal.

David Shafer, MD

TCA peel not a do-it-yourself procedure but safe under eyes if done by a professional

+3

I am really surprised to hear that you were able to obtain a 20% TCA solution and told to use it yourself. There is a risk of scarring and other problems if it is not done right, and if you get too close to the eyes and get some in it could cause serious vision problems friom burning the cornea. This is something that should be done by a medical professional and it is a safe procedure under those circumstances.

Richard Baxter, MD

Don't do TCA Chemical peel yourself; very dangerous

+3

The lower eyelid is a very weak structure. Too much chemical peel and your eyelid will droop (very difficult to correct). Too little and nothing happens. This is something for a professional, not a home remedy. There are certain chemical peels or laser treatments that can help this problem. The best treatment is going to be a lower lid blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) by a well trained plastic surgeon.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

TCA Chemical Peel for Eyelid Skin

+3

Loooreee

I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before attempting a 8% TCA peel on your under eyelid skin. This skin is much thinner than in the face and cheek and care must be taken to avoid going too deep or accidentally getting the TCA in your eyes. I also recommend pre-treating patients for 2 to 6 weeks with the Obagi system, sunscreen and Retin-A before a chemical peel depending on their skin type. Tanning and Retin-A should be stopped 2 weeks before and Accutane stopped 1 year before a chemical peel.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Yes, but only under expert / medical supervision

+2
TCA can be an excellent treatment for acne scars, fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation and skin laxity- especially under the eyes, HOWEVER one has to be super careful. I use a cotton tip, and approach the lid margin with 30% TCA done in an operating theatre, with nurses to help me. Single coat, no dripping, even application. 

Done safely, results can be excellent.

Regards
Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist, 
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

TCA Peel for lower lids possible

+2

TCA chemical peels can be used to treat the eye area, however it is very important to choose an appropriate strength and to have a board certified plastic surgeon or licensed esthetician perform the treatment. Skin surrounding the eyes is significantly thinner than the rest of the face, so special care is necessary to avoid complications. Recommendations for chemical peel strengths vary based on skin type, so it is imperative to schedule an in-person consultation to determine which treatment will provide the best results for you.

Fernando D. Burstein, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels in Santa Monica

+1

I would defer this treatment to a specialist. Chemical peels around the eyes are great, but have risks if not properly performed. We recommend TCA peels in our Los Angeles office. Raffy Karamanoukian MD

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

TCA For Lower Eyelids

+1

I do TCA peels of varying strengths frequently on the lower eyelids and it is very safe and effective.  The more aggressive the peel, the more downtime, but the greater the result.  However, not everyone is a good candidate for a TCA peel on the lower eyelids.  From what you have described, it sounds like you are using products incorrectly and that you are very sensitive to certain products. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation of your lower eyelids fine lines. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD