How Safe or Effective is Tattooing for Lip Vitiligo?

Does the color match well? Is repeat surgery needed? Are there any Docs that do this in Chicago? How expensive does this get? What are the side effects to be aware of?

Tattooing for lip vitiligo

+1

I think medical tattooing can be a good approach for long-standing, stable vitiligo (present for 5 years or more). I do not recommend this approach for disease that is continuing to spread or re-pigment. Also, other approaches should be tried first including topical agents and phototherapy.

You need to do some research to find a tattoo expert who uses high quality, medical-grade pigments. Even then, I would suggest a test spot first (preferably not on the face) to make sure you do not develop an allergic reaction to the pigment and to ensure a good color match. I would ask some dermatologists and plastic surgeons in your area for recommendations, consult with several tattoo artists/technicians and ask for before/after photographs.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist