Tanning Salon After Laser Vein Treatment?

I recently got laser treatment for the spider veins on my legs. They recommended that I stay out of the sun for "at least a week or two", which seems very broad to me. I like to go tanning in the spring/summer, but I don't want to risk permanently discoloring my skin! Is there a more specific rule/guideline as to when it will be safe to go lay out in the sun or go to a tanning bed? Also, if I were to go tanning, but covered up the area with shorts or something, is that safe? Thank you!!!

Avoid both sun and tanning beds.

+1
Following topical laser spider vein treatment or sclerotherapy it is prudent to avoid both sun exposure and tanning beds.  Both of these will increase your risk of increased pigmentation to the areas treated as well as other damaging effects of the ultraviolet rays.  There is no set amount of time to avoid the sun and tanning beds post treatment but the longer the better with a minimum of 2 weeks.  Also use a strong sun block over the treated areas.

Naples General Surgeon

Tanning After Vein Treatment

+1

Tanning can stimulate pigmentation which can be seen after treatment of leg veins, and can promote the appearance of "staining" which can last up to one year. I wouldn't encourage you to tan at all, and consider a topical self-tanner if absolutely necessary. Sun tanning or indoor tanning will result in greater photodamage of your skin which in the long-term will enhance the appearance of your leg veins (as the dermis gets thinner from the UV damage).

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Tanning and spider vein injections Melarase cream

+1

Tanning can stimulate pigmentation. I would recommend topical creams after spider vein treatment such as Melarase topical skin lightener or Scleroquin.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tanning after laser vein treatment is a NO NO

+1

Avoid tanning for 3-6 months is what I recommend to my patients otherwise you risk hyperpigmentation. No sun. No tanning.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Avoid tanning salons

+1

Tanning salons are never acceptable.  After laser treatment, you should avoid the sun for at least 3 weeks and then use sun protection to prevent darkening of the treated areas.  You must delay further laser treatments if you are tanned.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist