Is It Ok to Exercise 5 Days After Laser Spider Vein Removal?

I usually do 1-hour cardio workouts and go out dancing a few times a week. I finally got into a routine and don't want to get too much off track. Can I do this 5 days after laser treatment, or can this hurt results? Also, is activity such as sex ok on day 1? Thank you!

Exercise is OK after laser spider vein treatment.

+1

The basic principle following laser spider vein treatment or even sclerotherapy of spider veins is to not cause dilation of the blood vessels following treatment so that the treated veins will constrict and ultimately dissolve rather than dilate and reopen.  There is no absolute time to wait after this treatment but I would recommend a minimum of 3 days and sex can be at any time.

Naples General Surgeon

Exercize after laser vein tretment

+1

If by laser vein you mean EVLT, you can resume the same day. If you mean laser treatment topically for spider veins, wait 5 days or 1 week before you resume running, jogging where vessels can vasodilate and theoretical risk of recanalization is increased. I agree with Dr. Raffy Karamanoukian ..

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Recovery after spider vein laser

+1

It is most prudent to stay clear of strenuous exercise and sun exposure at least five days after spider vein laser or injection. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Activity after spider vein treatment

+1

After laser vein treatment, it is typically fine to resume normal activity within a few days, after the veins have "scarred closed" from the treatment.  Immediate vigorous exercises that utilize the legs may slightly increase the risk that the veins "reopen" after treatment, and therefore the treatment could be less effective.  The reason to avoid vigorous exercise is the same reason that compression stockings are advised immediately after . . . i.e. to increase the effectiveness of the treatment.  It is fine to resume sexual activity right after the treatment.

Joel Gotvald, MD, FACS
Austin General Surgeon

Exercise and Sex OK after laser spider vein treatment

+1

Laser treatment for spider veins is usually directed at the smallest superficial spider veins.  Normal activity is not only OK; but recommended after vein laser treatments.  Sexually activities are always at the discretion of the female partner; but fine after superficial laser spider vein therapy.  Do expect superficial bruises and redness at the skin surface.  Do expect tenderness and skin discoloration.  The body will absorb the spider veins over the next 3-6 months.  Sun exposure to the skin at the site of the laser, can result in skin stains.  

James E. White, MD
Chattanooga General Surgeon

Workout after laser treatment

+1

As long as you do not exercise outside and get tan, there should be no problem exercising five days after laser treatment of a spider angima.

Vicki J. Levine, MD