Symmastia Repair and Life After?

I'm currently in the process of going to consultations to fix symmastia. I'm concerned about my physical activity level if I repair the symmastia/replace the implants, rather than taking them out completely. I've seen some blogs from women who said they no longer do physical activity for fear of causing the symmastia to come back. I'm pretty active and know physical activity is out of the question for the first month or so, but I don't want to have it gone completely. Can anyone speak to this?

Restrictions after Symmastia Repair?

+2

As Plastic Surgeons, we are unfortunately seeing more issues with symmastia than ever before.  And while an experienced surgeon can generally achieve good results with capsular repair and reinforcement with an ACD such as Strattice, the long-term durability is not always 100% predictable.  

To assure that your results will last, I would keep in mind that a majority of the long-term tissue strength will be achieved in 6 weeks and so you really need to limit physical activity (at least with your upper body) during that time.  In addition, I would recommend wearing a supportive underwire bra at all times immediately after surgery to help provide reinforcement.  

Keep in mind that the best way to avoid symmastia is to have an experienced Plastic Surgeon perform your breast augmentation in the first place.  It is far easier to achieve a good result the first time around than it is to fix it the second, third, or fourth time around. 

I hope that helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia repair with Strattice

+2

In my experience there are 2 keys to successful symmastia repair, neither of which require removal of the implants. First is to reinforce the repair with an acellular dermal matrix such as Strattice, and the second is to make sure the implants are of the correct base diameter. After 6-8 weeks you should be able to begin unrestricted activity.

Richard Baxter, MD

Symmastia Repair and Life After?

+2

It sounds like a pretty poor tradeoff--no activity and no symmastia. 

By six weeks the tissues have reached 90% of their ultimate healed strength, and activities can be resumed. Perhaps the most stress on the pectoral muscles can be avoided a bit longer, but no activity at all seems a cure worse than the illness. As to the specifics of returning to activity, check with your surgeon. Although more pricey, repairs with aceullular dermal matrix seem to have a higher success rate.

All the best. 

Synmastia

+1

You should be able to resume a normal life and activities after this form of repair. I would avoid stressing the repair for at least 4-6 weeks

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Synmastia repair

+1

I would echo the thoughts of my colleagues.  At least 6 weeks of avoiding upper body activity/exertion.  I do think you should also give consideration to a neopocket technique.  

David A. Lickstein, MD

Symmastia Repair

+1

Symmastia repair should be repaired using Strattice or a similar product.  After surgery, I would recommend at least 8 weeks of restricted activity.  Afterwards, I would recommend always wearing a supportive underwire bra to protect the repair.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Symmastia Repair and Post Operative Activity

+1

After correction of symmastia you can usually resume full activity in 2 months. However this is only possible if the implants are of the correct diameter for the patient and the repair is secure enough to keep the implant pockets separate. This may be achieved by suturing the cleavage area tissue with or without acellular dermal matrix.  SFC

Stephen Coccaro, MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia repair

+1

Once the symmastia is repaired and the capsules are made smaller, you can probably go back to normal activity within about 6-8 weeks.