Suture (Stitch/Thread) Remaining After Surgery is Ok?

After face lift, my surgeon took out suture (thread) and then I found out more sutures. So, my coordinator helped me visit and a nurse took care of. However, I still found more. After my surgeon took out suture, I had to visit 3 times and the nurse took out about 15 suture (knots and thread) on my head. I also found out some thread (white string) on my nose which my surgeon told me to leave alone since it would be absolved. No problem with stitch remaining after surgery?

Absorbable Sutures after Facelift

In general, absorbable sutures can remain unless causing irritation or a source of infection.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sutures Remaining After a Facelift Are Nothing To Worry About

While you certainly had a lot of them, problems with sutures after a facelift is not uncommon. Typically, dissolvable sutures are placed under the skin to help close the incision. These sutures are meant to dissolve in 3-6 weeks, but sometimes can take up to 6 months to completely go away. In the meantime, they can push through the surface of the skin, and if so, need to be removed. Other than being a really big nuisance, they should not cause you any problems. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Common occurence

Hi!

It is common for absorbable sutures to be left over after surgical procedures. While, it may be a pain to do an extra visit to the office to have it removed, I would not worry about it.

Good luck!

Sam Speron, MD

It's not unusual for sutures to protrude through the skin...

Absorbable sutures are frequently utilized for facelift surgery. These sutures are typically placed in the dermis directly below the surface of the skin. In this position they prevent the spread of facial scars. Unfortunately these sutures are foreign material and there’s a tendency for the body to work them to the surface before they can dissolve.
For this reason, it’s not unusual for these sutures to protrude through the skin. Despite this they serve an extremely important function. Although these sutures represent a source of irritation, their use results in thinner scars and better aesthetic results.

Absorbable sutures after facelift surgery

It is not uncommon for absorbable sutures to be left after facelift surgery. They usually dissolve after 3-4 weeks. While, it may be inconvenience to do an extra visit to the office to have them removed, I should not raise any concerns.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Still have sutures after surgery?

Excellent question, and please allow me to comfort you that it is not uncommon to have sutures remaining after surgery.  Some surgeons will use a combination of dissolvable sutures and sutures that need to be removed.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches still coming out after surgery? No problem!

Thank you for your question.  Please be reassured that this is a very common occurrence after any type of surgery.  It is usually very unnerving for patients, but generally not dangerous at all.  As you know, surgical procedures are performed with both permanent and absorbable sutures.  Absorbable sutures are designed to dissolve over time (the amount of time varies by the suture type and size), but the truth is different people dissolve the stitches at a different rate.  If they don't break down fast, they can cause irritation. They then work their way up to the skin and start poking out of a weak spot in the skin (usually the incision).  We often just remove the offending stitches - depending of course on their position.  While I can certainly understand how upsetting this can be, it is perfectly normal and should not affect your result.   

Sutures Remaining after Facelift

Some of these sutures were found before they dissolved. The only problem you will have is the inconvenience of having to return to the office for their removal.

Sutures post facelift

It is quite common to notice sutures after a facelift, even after the external skin sutures are removed. These are usually dissolving, but may 'spit' out as the wound heals. Occasionally, the area around the suture can become inflamed and should be checked by your doctor.

Wilfred Brown, MD

Suture left after facelift

It can be easy to miss a suture after facelift, and if you discover one, there is no harm done. The exta visits to your surgeon can be time consuming, but you do have more opportunity to have your questions answered.