Facelift Deep Plane 3 Weeks Ago. Skin is Very Dry and Swelling Around Cheeks and Face and Ears is Not Going Down.

Is it normal to have excessively dry skin after deep plane facelift? What can be done to get my old soft skin back? Doc said to put makeup on to go to work but I cannot do that as my skin is so dry that makeup sticks to it and flakes. Will drinking more water help? My swelling is also pretty bad around the cheek, neck, and front of the ear areas. They are painful and I look like a Macy's blowup doll at the parade! What can be done to help the swelling go down in short order?

Swelling and Dry Skin after Deep-Plane Facelift

+1

Thank you for your question. Don't lose hope! At three weeks, some swelling and texture changes in the skin are to be expected, particularly with a more extensive facelift.  The textures changes are actually part of the swelling -- the skin will be more rigid and less pliable until this resolves. In terms of dryness, an emollient cream as frequently as possible is helpful. I have my patients use Acquaphor. Please stay in touch with your surgeon throughout the healing process.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deep Plane Facelift and Swelling and Dryness at 3 Weeks

+1

A deep plane facelift will always produce a great deal of swelling for a few weeks.  The dryness is not uncommon and should be managed conservatively.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelift Swelling and Texture Changes

+1

Swelling can take longer for some patients depending on technique used and individual patient healing factors.  Most swelling resolves with time early on.  Texture changes to skin might be a result of swelling put extra stretch on skin.  Moisturize for dry skin, avoid retinols and peels early on, avoid the sun, and avoid antibiotic ointments.  Check with your surgeon soon to see swelling and dryness issues resolve completely.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift 3 Weeks Ago

+1

One of the nice things about websites like this one for patients is you get to hear comments from other plastic surgeons about your situation. You think you are the only person with your set of issues, then you find out you are in the boat. Grab your oar. You are just in the facelift boat. At 3 weeks after a real facelift like you had, 100% of people have swollen ears, swollen cheeks, swollen you-name-it. I tell my patients that the hardest time for a facelift is not the first night or the first week, but from 2 weeks till 2 months when you are waiting to look like yourself again. Pretty soon, you will look better than all your girlfriends, ....... but it takes 6 months.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and dryness 3 weeks after facelift

+1

It is very common to have persistent cheek swelling 3 weeks after a facelift. This should get progressively better over the next several weeks. The dryness could be secondary to swelling or makeup. Moisturizer should be ok to help with the dryness. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing properly.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Dry skin after deep plane facelift

+1
The swelling can take a while to recede and certainly affect your skin. The dryness is secondary to this. Moisturization is important and you may need to adjust your makeup regimen in the meantime.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling After a Deep Plane Facelift

+1

Facelift swelling may take a few more weeks to resolve.  The faking skin may due to the tightness of the skin secondary to swelling.  Keeping your skin moisturizes will help.  Minimizing your vigorous activity and sleeping with your head elevated while sleeping may help.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

SKIN AFTER DEEP PLANE FACE LIFT

+1

You can have swelling after a deep plane face lift that can last for several months.  The dry skin may be secondary to the swelling you have.  This can be treated with the use of good moisturizers.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Healing 3 Weeks After Facelift

+1

It is absolutely normal to have some remaining cheek puffiness 3 weeks after a deep-plane facelift. Usually it is mild to modest at this point - but certainly noticeable to the patient. Dry skin after facelift is an unusual complaint - skin moisturizer should be ok - but I would still double-check with your facelift surgeon.

The skin softness routinely returns - but it will take more time.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon