I am 45 years old and I had a dermabrasion when I was 16 years old because of acne scars. Can I have chemical peel done on my face? Do you think my skin would be too sensitive to this treatment even after all these years?
Can I Have Chemical Peel Done On My Face After Having Surgical Dermabrasion?
Doctor Answers 14
Chemical peeling many years following dermabrasion
There is no reason to suspect that you would have a problem with a chemical peel
Chemical Peels/Lasers for acne scars
You might also like...
Chemical Peels after dermabrasion
There is a new generation of chemical exfoliants unlike the traditional chemical peels of the past. Instead of using a high concentration of just one acid, the newer chemical peels use a combination of acids at a lower concentration that offer a synergistic effect. One of the peels that we offer in our practice is the VI Peel which is effective on all skin types and treats numerous skin conditions--such as hyperpigmentation and helping to reverse the effects of sun damage and other environmental factors.
Also, you mentioned that you had your dermabrasion due to acne scarring. You may even be an excellent candidate for laser resurfacing.
I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to determine what your best course of treatment would be to obtain your desired results. Best wishes to you.
Acne surgery and chemical peels
An examination is essential before peeling, consider other options...
the type and strength of peel will depend on many factors including-
1. The depth and strength of chemical peel you are aiming to get- low strength glycolic vs medium depth TCA or Deep Jessers/ TCA or (outdated) phenol?
2. The current state of your skin- can depigmentation or colour changes be seen after your dermabrasion
3. Your skin colour or ethinic race plays a part
4. Your current medical history
5. The most important questions is 'What are you aiming to achieve?'
Consider treatments such as fractional lasers, fillers, or a combination of things to achieve the result, not just a treatment. Your Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon can give you the BEST solution to achieve the optimal outcome.
Hope this helps
Dr Davin S. Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Surgeon
Chemical peels after dermabrasion
- The answer depends entirely on your skin and the depth of the peel.
- Lasers and chemical peels can be light, medium depth or deep.
- Some skins after previous dermabrasion are thin, scarred or fragiel.
- Have your skin assessed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist, and depending on your skin and your goals, decide on peel vs. laser, the correct depth and preparation beforehand.
- Best wishes.
Chemical Peels for acne scars
After your treatment, what you use on your skin can affect the healing. Look for products that are hypoallergenic, fragrance free, and chemical free.
Good luck, take care.
Additonal Acne Scarring Treatments After Surgical Dermabrasion
It is recommended to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.
Chemical Peel After Dermabrasion?
Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion is great for exfoliating dead skin cells. Chemical peel is great for exfoliation, smoothening out texture, acne, and acne scarring. There are different levels of peels. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.