Can I Have Chemical Peel Done On My Face After Having Surgical Dermabrasion?

I am 45 years old and I had a dermabrasion when I was 16 years old because of acne scars. Can I have chemical peel done on my face? Do you think my skin would be too sensitive to this treatment even after all these years?

Chemical Peels for acne scars

+1
Thank you for your question.  Chemical peels are perfect for exfoliating.  The surgical dermabrasion that was performed many years ago will not effect the peel.  Most chemical peels are superficial and may do little to improve an acne scar.  Laser treatments may be a better option depending on the procedure chosen.  I recommend a consultation with a dermatologist for your best outcome. 
After your treatment, what you use on your skin can affect the healing.  Look for products that are hypoallergenic, fragrance free, and chemical free. 
Good luck, take care.

Salt Lake City Dermatologist

Additonal Acne Scarring Treatments After Surgical Dermabrasion

+1
Although, chemical peels can be performed to further improve acne scarring following surgical dermabrasion; laser resurfacing would typically be a better option.  
It is recommended to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel After Dermabrasion?

+1

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion is great for exfoliating dead skin cells. Chemical peel is great for exfoliation, smoothening out texture, acne, and acne scarring. There are different levels of peels. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Chemical peel after dermabrasion

+1

It is possible to have a chemical peel after dermabrasion; however, there are many different peels involving different products and strengths.  You should consult a dermatologist who can assess your skin and decide on the best treatment for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

You may be a good candidate for a chemical peel

+1

Since it has been several years since your dermabrasion, you may be a good candidate for a chemical peel.  Peel strengths can be customized depending on your needs; therefore, a milder peel that addresses superficial layers of skin can be applied to sensitive skin. See a board certified dermatologist to determine if a chemical peel would be beneficial for you and which strength of peel would best meet your needs. Luckily, chemical peels come in many different strengths and the proper one can be selected for you.

Edmond Griffin, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peel After Dermabrasion

+1

As it has been many years since you had the dermabrasion, you should have no problem with chemical peels. Whoever is doing your chemical peeling should take into account your dermabrasion history. Make sure to be careful with the sun!

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Chemical Peels are okay many years after Dermabrasion

+1

There is no contraindication to most chemical peeling when you're this far removed from dermabrasion. However, you didn't mention whether this was a light, medium, or deep peel. With light and medium peels performed by board-certified physicians, you're course shouldn't be that much different than it would have without ever having had dermabrasion. However, I would recommend avoiding a deep chemical peel with phenol, as the risk of scarring and hypopigmentation exists. 

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon