How soon can you lay out at the beach after a Tummy Tuck?

I know I can hide my big scar under a bikini bottom (and wear sunscreen on it too) but what about the belly button scar? How soon can you safely lay out at the beach and expose it (with high SPF sunscreen.) I don't want to risk a bad scar.

Sun Exposure and TT

+1
Like most things during your recovery, there are not typically absolute rules related to when certain activities can be restarted. Some surgeons will ask you to use your own body as a guide, avoiding those things that are especially painful until they are less so. Other surgeons will have a strict set of guidelines to follow. Some are in between. My suggestion would be to check with your surgeon. You have likely chosen him or her because there is some trust in your relationship and you surgeon would likely appreciate the opportunity to be your best resource for this type of question.
Dr. Pyle

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
I recommend waiting 3 months to my patients. Wearing 50 plus SPF and covering the scar, helps. You can cover your navel with Band-Aid if you are worrying about bad scarring in that area. 
Scars overall can take up to 2 years to fully settle down and direct sun light can irritate them. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Sun exposure and scars

+1
I recommend not exposing scars to tanning for a year in an effort to minimize the risk of hyper pigmentation. A total block (zinc oxide) to the umbilical area might be helpful. 

Janet Turkle, MD