Sunblock or Moisturizer After Toning?

After cleansing and toning my face, what's the correct following step if I plan to use a face moisturizer with low spf content and a good sunblock? I can't live without either one of them. Should I apply sunblock first or face moisturizer after toning?

Sunblock before, or after toner & moisturizer?

+1

Apply the sunblock after you use your toner. You can even mix your favorite sunblock right in with a favorite moisturizer & blend them on all together. These molecules are compatible and may even have some synergy. All physicians insist on some degree of UV defense, so I'm pleased to see that you're doing the right thing.

Combination

+1

My recommendation is to find a good sunscreen which has nice moisturizing capabilities. There are a number of very good ones out on the market. My favorite is Aveeno Ultra-calming cream with Feverfew. It borrows the Helioplex technology from its partner Neutragena, has some boffo emollients in it and contains feverfew a very potent antioxidant which will retard aging.

Most dermatologists prefer less stuff on the face than more and I think the above is a good practical solution.

Otherwise I would apply the moisturizer first.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist