When to Stop Using Retinol Cream Before TCA Peel?

I'm 19 and am having a 20% TCA peel. I have been using a retinol cream for a month to prepare my skin. My question is how many days prior to the peel should I stop using the retinol cream?

No need to stop Retinol Cream before TCA Peel

+1

There is no need to stop Retinol cream before a 20% TCA peel. In fact, there is no need to use Retinol cream or anything else in preparation for a 20% TCA peel (which is very superficial). It is our experience that glycolic acid peels with the glycolic acid home maintenance is more effective than 20% TCA peels. If you desire, Retinol cream can be used in conjunction with glycolic acid peels. We have a number of patients who get monthly glycolic acid peels, apply glycolic acid cream to their face in the morning and Retin A to their face at night.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Retin A and Chemical Peels

+1

I ask my patients to stop the day of the peel.

After the complete healing of the peel I wait one week then restart the Retin A, once every other day. That will maintain the results for you.

Ask your doctor about pre-peel skin care

+1

Acheiving consistent results with TCA peels, as with any type of peel, requires close coordination with your doctor about the skin care regimen. You should ask the doctor or his/her skin care specialist so that you are doing exactly what you are supposed to.

Richard Baxter, MD

Retinol creams prior to TCA peels

+1

Years ago we use to stop Retin A 3-4 days before any heavy TCA peels but we found out that it makes no difference when or even if you stop the Retin A ahead of time if you are going to be using a good cortisone lotion twice a day for the next 2 weeks. Also be sure to use a sunscreen and pamper your skin.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon