How Do Stars Like Brad Pitt Get Rid of Their Acne Scars?

I have seen pictures of Brad Pitt and other actors in films with acne scars. How did they get rid of them? Are they getting fillers or some kind of treatments that we are not shown? I was just wondering what you guys as professionals thought. Thanks. I can't believe even Brad Pitt had bad acne scars.

Brad Pitt acne scar remedy

Fillers are commonly done. Some last only several months. Although not FDA-approved for this use, medical grade silicone can be injected by an expert and this lasts longer but there are occasions of migration of the silicone to different areas which might need to be surgically removed. Isolagen is in the third phase of FDA testing and is exciting! A small removal of skin is done behind the ear and this is sent to the Isolagen laboratory which then produces your fibroblasts which make your collagen. The fibroblasts are delivered to the doctor and it is injected under the scars so that you produce new collagen to fill in the depressions. We hope it will be FDA approved soon!!!

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

First off, professional make-up used in the movies can...

First off, professional make-up used in the movies can camouflage a lot of things.

However, there are many modalities to treat acne scarring. There are some lasers that will treat the underlying collagen to plump the acne pits. Also, the pits can sometimes be filled with Injectable products. Also, the areas adjacent to the acne scars can be "buffed" down with lasers as well.

There really are a lot of choices. No one technique is perfect, and no one patient gets 100% improvement.

Treating Acne Scars on Celebrities

Acne scars are treated with a whole host of different procedures. If they are ice pick scars, then we punch graft them, which means we take a piece of their skin from behind their ear and place it in the hole then dermabrade or sand over it to allow it to blend in ($350/scar).

Some sharp-edged, deep scars, we just excise and suture up ($150-200/scar). Some scars that are broad and shallow we fill in with fillers like collagen$450/syringe), Juvaderm, restylane, elevess($550/syr), Radiesse ($850/syr) or Artefill($1250/syr).

Some irregular deep scars are subcised which means we cut under them to free up the scar and then put a filler in the tunnel created. Some scars are dermabraded or sanded ($250/scar or $3500 for the cheeks and chin) to make them blend away into the surrounding skin.

Some discolorations of the skin can be lasered or chemically peeled ($750-1000) to blend them away nicely. Most people need a combination of the above procedures and also may need a few times.

All these can be done under just local anesthesia and you drive yourself home afterwards in most cases. As you can see there are a lot of things that anyone can get done for acne scarring which really helps.

Good Luck

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of Celebrity or High-Profile Acne Scars

I cant speak for a specific celebrity, but in general, people who cannot tolerate much down time (i.e. healing time) or potential for risk or complications will use treatments like injections of dermal fillers (e.g. Juvederm or Restylane). Both last about 9 months for acne scars, but if done properly, greatest risk is bruising which lasts only a week or so and can be covered by make up. Other more aggressive treatments like dermabrasion or laser resurfacing or excision of scars has the potential for a longer lasting improvement but the trade offs are longer healing time and greater risk or complications or risks. As a result, most of the people who are constantly in the public eye would probably avoid that unless they had enough time for recovery and tolerated the potential complications. See a dermatologist or dermatologic surgeon and have your treatment done by somebody who is well trained in the procedure and has lots of experience.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Brad Pitt Acne Scarring

The first step to treating acne scars is to stop the current active acne.This is a topic in itself and is discussed elsewhere on the website.
There are multiple types of acne scars and while all of them do not always fit into a specific category they are generally treated differently.
The narrow but very deep scars are referred to as “ice pick” scars.I typically treat these with a strong chemical peel using the “toothpick technique.This is where we carefully pace a small amount of acid directly into the scar.

Scars that look flat when stretched out (rolling) I generally subcise and place filler.
Then I generally, recommend resurfacing the entire area/face with a profractional laser.
These treatments are not generally performed together and we reassess after each.
Dermabrasion is also a good alternative to the laser if one not available but the down time and discomfort are considerably longer.
Hope these opinions help.Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring treatments that work.

It is very common for actors, and anybody else who is looking to improve scars from acne with lasers. The most popular laser that is being used, is the Fraxel. This is very popular due to the fact that it has such a short downtime, with patients recovering within 3 days. Even make-up can be applied the next day, which makes this effective treatment so sought out by patients. Fillers can assist in the appearance of depressed scarring if you are looking for faster results. Microneedling also works terrific for acne scarring, and it too has a very quick recovery period of 2-3 days on average. These are some of the most effective ways to help reduce and reverse acne scarring.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

... he still has scars. Take a close look.

Brad Pitt is my classic example of acne scarring and reducing scars. First of all, make up helps in films, secondly, if you look closely, he still has residual scars- although he has a marked improvement compared to his original acne scars. 

I use him as an example of what multiple treatments can do. Over the years his scars have decreased due to better technology (example- fractional CO2) and other newer treatments. Even old scars can be improved. 

My two cents worth

Dr Davin Lim 
Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Brad Pitt acne scar treatment

The best way to have "movie star" skin is a combination of fillers such as Restylane and lasers such as Fraxel.  Also, many patients have Sculptra injected into the face which  naturally produces collagen over time.  Many men opt for this procedure along with Thermage since the results are gradual and natural in appearance.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic procedures for the best results.

Celebrity Acne Scar Treatment

This is a great question.  There are many treatment options for improving the appearance of acne scars.  The most effective treatment for permanent improvement of acne scars is treatment with the Fractional CO2 laser - this stimulates your body's own collagen renewal to fill in the areas of pitted acne scarring.  However, this treatment has some downtime, so it is likely that celebrities may undergo other faster treatments prior to a movie.  Treatments like fillers for acne scars are usually not permanent, but they provide immediate improvement and do not cause significant downtime.  

Eric Schweiger, MD

Fillers are a temporary fix

Some people choose to get fillers to "fill in" these scars. There are other procedure such as the DOT CO2 that is a resurfacing laser that can work wonders on acne scars. It will take several treatments depending on the severity. I would need to see the severity of the scars before making a definitive treatment plan.

Jeffrey Adelglass, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon