Spider Angioma on Face, Can I Laser It While Nursing?

I was referred to another doctor after having three treatments, but I am pregnant now and was told to wait because the hormones can effect my skin's reaction. Do I have to wait until I'm done nursing too?

Spider angioma treatment with laser

Spider angiomas can occur as a result of hormones during pregnancy. It is safe to undergo laser treatment for spider angiomas while you are nursing. 

Laser treatments to spider angiomata during breast feeding

It is perfectly safe to have laser treatments while breast feeding.  There are no toxins that would be released into the breast milk.  I am curious why you have needed three treatments and still have the angiomata.  The best laser for these lesions combines a 1064 ND/Yag laser with a pulsed dye laser.  Make sure that is what you are treated with.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Vascular laser therapy while nursing

I agree that it is not wise to perform vascular laser treatments during pregnancy as, due to hormonal and blood volume issues, this can be nonproductive.  I do perform vascular laser treatments while someone is breatfeeding.  However, sometimes vessels that are apparent during preganacy fade substatially afterwards any may not require treatment.  I would discuss this with your doctor.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

PDL for treating spider angiomas

The PDL laser which is used to treat a spider angioma uses "visible light" -- not ionizing radiation like an "X-Ray"; therefore, there would be no harm to the baby.  It is a safe treatemtent to have done, even while nursing.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD