Solution for a Red Nose?

So the tip of my nose is almost always red. whether it's entirely red or in spots of redness. I've read that is probably the result of blood vessels. They don't seem to be broken though, they don't look like veins. Just redness. Always. Can i fix this? Can the blood vessels be eliminated? Laser procedure maybe.. if so, what's the best type of laser? Please help!

V BEAM or pulse dye laser

+1
This is the best for a red nose.... I would not use laser resurfacing, as this often makes your nose worse. V BEAM by Candella is the best, if it doesnt work, IPL can be of benefit. 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, and Gold Coast
Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Red nose = Rosacea VBeam laser

+1

The Vbeam laser is the gold standard for treating redness, flushing, spider veins and rosacea. You will see a change after the first treatment. Generally people require multiple treatments. This can be a truly life changing treatment

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed Dye Laser (VBeam) best for improving redness on nose/face

+1

The VBeam is the best laser for improving redness, visible vessels, and rosacea.  It is a very safe laser for lighter skin types.  It is practically painless.  It might take up to 3 treatments.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Photodynamic therapy with laser light can reduce red nose.

+1

Photodynamic therapy with laser light can reduce red nose. PDT (photodynamic therapy) consists of a chemical, aminolevulinic acid, applied to the skin followed in 1-3 hours by laser light therapy. The effect of the treatment is to reduce blood vessels and oil glands in the skin.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

V-beam laser is my recommendation

+1

First, I would have your condition evaluated by an experienced dermatologist to make sure you just have a cosmetic concern.  Assuming that's the case, the pulsed dye laser called the V-beam is the gold standard treatment for this concern.  It may take a few treatments, but I think the results are far superior to any IPL treatment.  Make sure you avoid the sun pre- and post-treatment. 

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Treatment of red noses with V-beam laser, make sure it's not skin cancer first

+1

The majority of cases of red noses are related to blood vessels but there are some cases that the redness is part of a precancerous sun-damaged condition called actinic keratosis. Usually actinic keratoses consist of redness and slight roughness as the surface dead cells build up and get thicker. Sometimes this roughness is not apparent easily. The condition can be more advanced into in-situ squamous cell carcinoma and non rough redness can be a sign of basal cell carcinoma.  A board-certified dermatologist can render an opinion by examination with visualization, feeling, using magnification and dermatoscopy (epiluminescence). If in the end, the redness is only related to superficial capillaries, giving a diffuse hue of redness, then V-beam laser, IPL and other devices can make the capillaries improve. This may be a manifestation of rosacea and new blood vessels will develop over time even after the current ones go away. Maintenance treatment with the V-beam laser is common when new ones develop.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Red nose treatment

+1

Many lasers generate wavelengths that are absorbed by red quite well.  My favorite is the 532nm VARILITE (IRIDEX) laser.  Actually, this is a dual wavelength device that produces a 940nm beam that also treats red vessels well.  Intense pulsed light or a 1064nm Nd-YAG laser will also work.  More than a single treatment may be required.

Steve Laverson, MD

Pulsed dye lasers are the gold standard for diffuse redness

+1
  • Numerous published research studies have shown that the pulsed dye laser is superior to IPL for treating diffuse redness and capillaries.
  • We offer both IPL and pulsed dye laser in our practice
  • The ND Yag laser is a good option larger, visible vessels larger than 1 mm in diameter.  Is has little value for diffuse redness.
  • You may need multiple treatments, depending on your goals.  These are spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
  • Seek a Board Certified dermatologist with lots of laser choices and lots of experience.  The dermatologist should be the one performing the treatment.  (not turning the treatment over to other staff members).
  • take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Redness on the nose

+1

Diffuse redness on the nose can be treated with an IPL device or the pulsed dye laser.  In general, I strongly prefer the pulsed dye laser as it is more specific for the blood vessels (the intended target of the laser).  Most patients require one to three treatments with this laser depending upon the severity.  Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Many lasers for many different vessels

+1

There are multiple choices for lasers to treat blood vessels.  For general redness usually IPL (intense pulsed light) works well (3-4 treatments).  For defined or discrete vessels or slightly larger vessels on the nose then PDL (pulsed dye laser) generally works best.  There is a laser that combines this PDL with a second laser (an ND-YAG) to give the vessel a double shot.  Other diode lasers can work as well. It is a matter of matching the laser and treatment settings to the appropriate sized vessels.  Go to an experienced physician for a consult.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon