Solution for a Red Nose?

So the tip of my nose is almost always red. whether it's entirely red or in spots of redness. I've read that is probably the result of blood vessels. They don't seem to be broken though, they don't look like veins. Just redness. Always. Can i fix this? Can the blood vessels be eliminated? Laser procedure maybe.. if so, what's the best type of laser? Please help!

VBeam Laser

VBeam Laser is the most advanced Pulsed Dye Laser Technology, VBeam treats red skin, broken blood vessels, rosacea, and birthmarks. This laser targets the selected area with an intense yet gentle burst of light. This laser is so safe that it’s used for the treatment of port wine stains on infants and young children. It also treats photoaging and sun damage with no downtime.

Redness Around the Nose

The Vbeam laser works great for redness around the nose. The number of treatments will depend on the severity of the condition. Sometimes a topical with vitamin C is helpful to reduce redness. 

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

V BEAM or pulse dye laser

This is the best for a red nose.... I would not use laser resurfacing, as this often makes your nose worse. V BEAM by Candella is the best, if it doesnt work, IPL can be of benefit. 

Dr Davin Lim
Cosmetic and Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, and Gold Coast

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Red nose = Rosacea VBeam laser

The Vbeam laser is the gold standard for treating redness, flushing, spider veins and rosacea. You will see a change after the first treatment. Generally people require multiple treatments. This can be a truly life changing treatment

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pulsed Dye Laser (VBeam) best for improving redness on nose/face

The VBeam is the best laser for improving redness, visible vessels, and rosacea.  It is a very safe laser for lighter skin types.  It is practically painless.  It might take up to 3 treatments.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Photodynamic therapy with laser light can reduce red nose.

Photodynamic therapy with laser light can reduce red nose. PDT (photodynamic therapy) consists of a chemical, aminolevulinic acid, applied to the skin followed in 1-3 hours by laser light therapy. The effect of the treatment is to reduce blood vessels and oil glands in the skin.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

V-beam laser is my recommendation

First, I would have your condition evaluated by an experienced dermatologist to make sure you just have a cosmetic concern.  Assuming that's the case, the pulsed dye laser called the V-beam is the gold standard treatment for this concern.  It may take a few treatments, but I think the results are far superior to any IPL treatment.  Make sure you avoid the sun pre- and post-treatment. 

Treatment of red noses with V-beam laser, make sure it's not skin cancer first

The majority of cases of red noses are related to blood vessels but there are some cases that the redness is part of a precancerous sun-damaged condition called actinic keratosis. Usually actinic keratoses consist of redness and slight roughness as the surface dead cells build up and get thicker. Sometimes this roughness is not apparent easily. The condition can be more advanced into in-situ squamous cell carcinoma and non rough redness can be a sign of basal cell carcinoma.  A board-certified dermatologist can render an opinion by examination with visualization, feeling, using magnification and dermatoscopy (epiluminescence). If in the end, the redness is only related to superficial capillaries, giving a diffuse hue of redness, then V-beam laser, IPL and other devices can make the capillaries improve. This may be a manifestation of rosacea and new blood vessels will develop over time even after the current ones go away. Maintenance treatment with the V-beam laser is common when new ones develop.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Red nose treatment

Many lasers generate wavelengths that are absorbed by red quite well.  My favorite is the 532nm VARILITE (IRIDEX) laser.  Actually, this is a dual wavelength device that produces a 940nm beam that also treats red vessels well.  Intense pulsed light or a 1064nm Nd-YAG laser will also work.  More than a single treatment may be required.

Steve Laverson, MD

Pulsed dye lasers are the gold standard for diffuse redness

• Numerous published research studies have shown that the pulsed dye laser is superior to IPL for treating diffuse redness and capillaries.
  • We offer both IPL and pulsed dye laser in our practice
  • The ND Yag laser is a good option larger, visible vessels larger than 1 mm in diameter.  Is has little value for diffuse redness.
  • You may need multiple treatments, depending on your goals.  These are spaced 4-6 weeks apart.
  • Seek a Board Certified dermatologist with lots of laser choices and lots of experience.  The dermatologist should be the one performing the treatment.  (not turning the treatment over to other staff members).
  • take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist