Solution for Permanent (Congenital) Dark Circles? (photo)

I'm a 23 year old female and I have blue dark circles under my eyes no matter how much sleep I get. I constantly look tired and it's taking a toll on my self-esteem. I've tried pretty much all types of eye creams which have had no effect whatsoever on my dark circles... At this point I'd like to know which options would be suitable for me ? Is carboxytherapy a good intervention for my type of dark circles ? Fillers? Thank you in advance

Options to treat dark circles under eyes.

+1

The dark circles under your eyes are due in some degree to the shadowing there from some hollowness.  The simplest option for treatment would be to use a filler, like Restylane, to fill in the hollow area and improve the darkness.  Although this would be a fairly easy treatment, the result would not be permanent.  The other option would be to have surgery to deal with some of the fat above the hollow area, which would give a longer lasting result.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for tear trough abnormality in young patient.

+1

Photograph demonstrates a fairly classic tear trough abnormality. For patients undergoing blepharoplasty this can be corrected permanently by redistribution of periorbital fat. In this case small amount of filler use periodically is the best solution.

You are far safer and better off not seeking a permanent solution for this.

+1

For your age and issue, Restylane treatment in the tear trough is very powerful and likely to last up to two years.  Trying to fill this with fat is likely to cause irregularities and scaring.  Please don't do this to yourself.  If you have a problem with fat, you will need surgery to fix the issue.  With filler, if there is ever an issue, an enzyme injection can take care of the problem without surgery.

Tear trough

+1

This looks like it is mostly due to shadowing related to a visible tear trough. Your options would then be an injectable filler or direct placement of a thin sheet of fat as a graft to fill the trough. The first option would require repeat injections the second should not.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Young woman with dark circle of the lower eyelids

+1

You may be a candidate for the use of a soft tissue filler.  This will help to blend the junction between the lower eyelid skin and the upper cheek.  You may also want to try a product like SkinMedica dermal repair of eyes that has Boron in it to reflect the light to help prevent shadowing.