I Keep Smoking Till 8 Hours Before my Surgery How I Can Know Now That my Nose Skin Now Dies or Any Damage Caused?

I had rhinoplasty last Thursday which took 3 hours and tho my surgeon knows that I'm smoker he didn't tell me anything about stopping smoking because healing process ... And I didn't know as well ... Just afraid surgery I start reading articles and now I'm worry and don't know what do to ... And actually 18 month ago I had another surgery for fixing broken bones (26)in nose and also breathing problem and it took 4 and half hours and that time i wasn't smoker , I started smoking last year

If you have skin necrosis you will have to consider the smoking as part of the problem

+2

Thank you for the question.  Smoking impacts healing in several ways and perhaps most importantly at the micro-circulation level (in the skin).  If your skin does not have enough blood supply it will die which is called necrosis.  This will be evident near your incision at the columella.  Do not smoke during your recovery.  That is the most important thing that you can do at this time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Smoking and rhinoplasty surgery

+2

In general, you will want to avoid smoking at least 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery. Nicotine itself is a vasoconstrictor. When vasoconstriction takes place, surface area inside the blood vessels decreases. This results in poor blood flow and a rise in blood pressure. In effect, healing is greatly compromised. I would highly recommend refraining from any additional smoking, as it can have a negative impact on your healing. It would be a good idea to follow up with your surgeon to ensure you are recovering properly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Smoking and surgery

+2

Smoking and surgery do not mix.  Smoking increases wound healing problems significantly. I usually tell patients to at least stop 4 weeks prior and continue 4 weeks after.

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1

It his best to stop smoking approximately 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty for optimal healing.  tobacco smoke will return to internal healing process of the nose.

Smoking before and after Rhinoplasty

+1

If the skin has not died after a few days, most of the time the risk of flap death is small.  You may end up with healing problems, and you really should inform your plastic surgeon and stop smoking immediately.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA