E-Cigarettes and Plastic Surgery

I have seen that smoking before and after plastic surgery can impact healing, and most surgeons won't even operate on smokers. Does this include the new electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes)?

E-cigarettes and surgery

+2

If the e-cigarette has nicotine, then it is still not good for you and would increase your risks for complications.

E-Cigarettes OK As Long As No Nicotine

+1

I believe that the E-Cigarettes do not have any sort of nicotine products at all, and that it is more for the oral fixation of smoking then any inhallational effect.  However, I would double check with the manufacturers label, since any nicotine product constricts your capillaries and makes it harder for a patient to heal after surgery.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon