E-Cigarettes and Plastic Surgery

I have seen that smoking before and after plastic surgery can impact healing, and most surgeons won't even operate on smokers. Does this include the new electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes)?

Plastic surgery and e-cigarettes

When one smokes, or uses tobacco in any form, there is vascular constriction. Nicotine is a major vasoconstrictor.  Good wound healing is all about getting enough blood supply to the area. The incision will also be put on some tension. Tension is the enemy of good wound healing, and coupled with decreased blood flow in smokers, finds the patient at higher risk of wound problems. Our office does not do facelifts on smokers. Breast reductions and tummy tucks are also on tension and the chance of them falling apart is many fold higher. Please stop using nicotine, (for dozens of reasons). If the prospect of your procedure is a motivation to quit, then so be it.

E-cigarettes and surgery

If the e-cigarette has nicotine, then it is still not good for you and would increase your risks for complications.

E-Cigarettes OK As Long As No Nicotine

I believe that the E-Cigarettes do not have any sort of nicotine products at all, and that it is more for the oral fixation of smoking then any inhallational effect.  However, I would double check with the manufacturers label, since any nicotine product constricts your capillaries and makes it harder for a patient to heal after surgery.