Can I Smoke Pot 2 Days After Juvaderm Injections?

Two days ago I went to get my first Juvaderm injections in my lips. I've been icing like I'm supposed to but my friends are having a get together and I was wondering if smoking Marijuana would be harmful to my new lips? Could it potentially cause brusing and or swelling? Also, if I am not a regular smoker, would smoking pot have a negative impact on the longevity of the Juvaderm? Thanks!

Pot Can Be Smoked if Legal

+2

Pot will not have a long term outcome of the results of your Juvederm.  The only issue I can see you getting into is with the law.....

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pass That Syringe of Juvederm Mahnaan...Does Smoking Pot Affect Juvederm in the Lips?

+2

Hi Lolita,

Smoking marijuana will be no more harmful to the Juvederm in your lips as will  be to the rest of your body.  The only way that it could possibly cause potential bruising and swelling is if you bite your lip too many times because of the muchies.  The fact that you are not a regular smoker will not have a negative effect on the longevity of the Juvederm in your lips, but you may be susceptable to "freaking out" about your new lips, particularly if your more experienced friends make you feel a little paranoid, but they wouldn't do that while they were high, would they?

Enjoy your new lips.  Pass that syringe of Juvederm.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Smoking and surgery

+1
Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:
1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. This is especially bad in breast reductions or face lifts. In a rhinoplasty the tip of the nose and the columella, the area between the tip and the lip, is at risk. Your skin and tissue can turn black and fall off if this happens. In fat transfer, the constricted blood flow can cause the fat to not get a blood supply and die. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion. Vaporizers do not decrease the amount of nicotine in tobacco, only decrease the smoke. Hookah also does not decrease nicotine.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome. In general, you should quite smoking many weeks, ideally 6 weeks before surgery, and not smoke for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smoking after Juvederm injection

+1

There isn't any relation with smoking to your filler injection aside from maybe delaying the healing (bruising/swelling) although in the long run it can be an issue to your health.

Best regards, 

Appropriate post-treatment care after Juvederm

+1

While it may not be advisable for other reasons, with regards to Juvederm, the pot smoking will not have any observable effect.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Smoking pot after Juvederm

+1

Smoking pot or cigarettes after Juvederm or other wrinkle fillers will have no effect on the filler or on bruising in the short term. Smoking will however lead to possibly less duration of effect as the treated area will be used more and thus the filler would break down faster. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I smoke pot right after an minor aesthetic procedure?

+1

Sure!   It probably won't have much physical effect, but it might delude you to into believing you look even better than you actually do!   :)

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and smoking

+1

Smoking will not have an effect on your Juvederm injections in the lip. Nevertheless, smoking in general can cause fine wrinkle formation in the lips.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Marijuana and Juvederm are unlikely to interact

+1

There is no reason to believe marijuana would have any specific effect on Juvederm, or the bruising and swelling that follows Juvederm injection.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Marijuana use and Juvederm

+1

There isn't any testing on marijuana and any cosmetic products, for obvious reasons, so I can't say if it will affect the longevity of the Juvederm. It will not make you more prone to swelling or bruising though.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD