SMAS facelift Additional question: is it possible to achieve any lifting of the temple area, with a SMAS facelift? (Photo)

I am planning this procedure for September 2014. I am wondering if it is possible to achieve any lifting of the temple area, with a SMAS facelift. Particularly just above the outer cheek bone, at eye level. I need this but do not want to get another brow lift. I had one in 2004. It lifted forehead, brows and temple beautifully! Loved the results, but I have lost some of the lift. Especially in the temple area. Problem is I had scalp itching that still exists.

Facelifts

+2
A SMAS facelift in my experience will lift the temple area slightly, lift the skin around the cheek area, improve the marionette lines and jowls and tighten the neck.
Different physicians have different ideas of what a facelift will include in the procedure, but in my experience including these areas as described yield the best results.

SMAS face lift

+2
An SMAS facelift by itself will not lift the temporal area. An  extended incision up into the temporal area from the facelift can give a slight amount of tightening in that area. A temporal lift can also be performed. For many examples of facelifts, please see the link below

SMAS facelift does not lift the temporal area near the eyes

+2
Thank you for your question.  Based on your photograph you look excellent and I question seriously whether you need a facelift.  Because you have had previous brow lifting and any attempt to lift the temple area could distort your hairline and change your look.The SMAS facelift cannot be done in the temple area because the SMAS does not extend that far and most people and the risk of injury to the facial nerve to the forehead and upper eyelid muscles is a serious risk.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

SMAS facelift and the Temporal region

+1
A SMAS facelift is really focused on the lower face and neck.  The temporal region is not really part of a SMAS or even a High SMAS facelift.  My advice to you is find a surgeon who likes doing lateral brow lifts either endoscopically or via smart hand technique.  

Jay Calvert, MD

Limitations of SMAS lift

+1
A SMAS Lift in and of itself will not address the temporal area.  Options include using filler in that area, or a temporal lift.  

Perrin Clark, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

SMAS lift and temporal lifting

+1
The typical SMAS facelift does not elevate the temporal area. You might consider filling the temples with fat or an HA filler. This may look more youthfull in the end that atually lifting it good Luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lifting temple area

+1
Facelift would not lift the area you are concerned with.  Fat grafting to the temple area might be a great option for you.  Good luck with your procedure!
Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

What is addressed with a facelift

+1
The term facelift can be a little misleading.
To a surgeon, the face is broken up into zones: the forehead, the eyes, the nose, the cheeks, the mouth, and the neck. 
A facelift addressed the cheeks and possibly the neck (it depends on the surgeon)
A brow lift addresses the forehead
Blepharoplasty addresses the upper and/or lower eyelids
A neck lift addresses the neck

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Smas lift does not lift the temple.

+1
Smas lift does not lift the temple. Do NOT have an incision in front of your temple hairline as the scar cannot be covered. I need photos to give a better answer to your problem or an exam.

Lifting of the temple area falls more into the brow lift category

+1
Dear Italian1,

A SMAS facelift is a type of face lift and thereby designed to lift the cheek, jowl, and neck area.  The temple area is the area above your cheek bone to the side of the eye brow.  This area is typically lifted with a lateral brow lift. A face lift can be extended into a brow lift incision but this is primarily done in a "pre-hairline" fashion to not shift the hairline back.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD