Smartlipo - 8 Weeks Post and Little Change?

Before: Healthy weight/shape before (5'8"/140#/size 6) Procedure: Abs/flanks/inner thighs Smartlipo, cost (with discount) $10,500 Complication: Seromas, drained several times Current (8 weeks): Def some change, clothes a *little* bit looser, but scale higher I've read to expect 80-90% results at 8 weeks, others that say not to judge until 6mo. 3 separate surgeries, $10k+ spent. No clothes size change. Could really use some words of hope?

Little change 8 weeks after lipo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • expect to see change at three months after uncomplicated liposuction
  • complications like seromas increase the time to maximun improvement
  • restart your three month clock when the complication no longer need attention

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

A few issues

As previously stated it's still relatively early.  That said when Liposuction goes well patients should see improvements by three weeks.  Some patients are excellent candidates for Liposuction and should expect to see great results others simply aren't great candidates.  For someone who is not a great candidate it is important for the surgeon to first of all realize this and secondly be brutally honest with the patient before the procedure.   I'm not sure why it required three procedures unless your surgeon maxed out on the amount of fat that can be safely removed in a single session or if you are calling draining the seromas as separate procedures.   Unfortunately Cosmetic Surgery is expensive regardless of outcome.  I make a point of not discussing weight  change, or inches other than to not expect a change unless I can deliver.  Setting realistic expectations is an important part of my job.  The number one concern after Liposuction is the lack of results. Liposuction when done correctly on the right people should give consistently good results.  

I don't mean to be a pessimist here.  In general the patines who are going to be happy with their results are happy at eight weeks and it just get's better from there.

You should expect some further improvement with time but at three months it's close to "what you see is what you get".

On a last thought.  Some of the best outcomes from liposuction comes from patients who did some weight loss and picked up their exercise routine after the procedure.  I call it "I do my part and you do your part".

I hope you will with time feel your procedure was helpful.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Smartlipo results

Despite claims to the contrary, Smartlipo can take longer to fully heal and for swelling to resolve than other types of liposuction.  Hang in there, wear your compression garments and keep your doctor involved with all of your concerns. Two months is still early and I would wait another 2 or 3 months before final results are in. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

It is too early for you to judge your smartlipo session

some patients will show a change in 2 weeks but many can take 2 months just to start to see any change. some may take longer. i tell my patients that you will not reach your maximum improvement for  6 months or longer. it is much too early for you to asses your results.

david berman md

plastic surgeon, northern va

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo healing

Smartlipo takes time to heal, please be patient. This is normal; even though you may not feel swollen you are still swollen under the skin. Follow up with your surgeon to make sure you are healing correctly.

Bruce E. Katz, MD