Is Smart Lipo Under the Chin and Neck Painful?

I am having smart lipo on my chin and neck area in a couple of weeks. I need real honesty here. Is the procedure going to be painful under local anesthesia? Can you feel what's going on? And now I'm reading about not being able to smile afterwards and prolonged swelling. Should I be concerned??

Smart lipo under chin and neck...

+1

Smart lipo is a great procedure that can be performed without undergoing full anesthesia.  The numbing solution is injected first which can giving a brief stinging feeling.  Then if injected properly, it should be pretty numb.  After the area is numb, your surgeon will begin the procedure by inserting the laser canula.  You may feel some warmth, but usually not pain.  Some swelling is normal but most of it resolves in about one week.  As the next three months go by, the skin should tighten and leave you with a great result.  Prolonged swelling would be unusual.  Be sure to be a board certified surgeon with a lot of experience in Smart lipo. 

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Chin

+1

Smart lipo under the chin has mixed reviews on results. Some surgeons love it others don't think it is all that great. It should be done under local. After you are numb the procedure is relatively painless. In any submental procedure the marginal mandibular nerve is at risk but, the risk is small. Transient weakness of the lip can ocur for tne injections alone

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Laser Liposucion under local anesthesia

+1

The procedure should really be very tolerable but is dependent on the surgeon's technique.  Ideally you have some light oral sedation in the form of valium, etc.  The only discomfort you should feel is the initial placement of local anesthetic.  With excellent technique, even the anesthetic injection should be just about painless and really of no concern.  Since you are awake for the procedure you will feel pushing, pulling, and pressure but should not experience pain as long as the treated area has been completely numbed.  You may have difficulty with smiling right after the procedure but this only lasts for a couple hours until the numbing medication has worn off.  Longer episodes of difficulty moving the mouth may be due to nerve injury which is a very low risk with this surgery and less so with proper technique.  There will be swelling and everybody is different.  It's usually mostly resolved in a week or so.  Proper compression of the treated area can help speed it along. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS