Small Meaty Fleshy Blob Came out of Nose in Blood and Mucas After Surgery?

I didnt cough it up nor blow it out, more reversed blew (snorted i guess) mixed in with the blood and mucas was a rubbery, flesh colored little ball....is that normal? I had a septoplasty, rhinoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery 3 weeks ago.

Bloody "Stuff" came out of my nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

It is not uncommon for residual blood and possibly tissue to remain in your nostril after a rhinoplasty, particularly when there is septal work and turbinate work involved. Your nasal mucosa continues to make... mucous and it will mix with blood and tissue particles.

You doctor probably instructed you not to blow your nose after your surgery, so that collection of tissue most likely had been there since your surgery.

If you have any concerns about it, do not hesitate to contact your surgeon. He/she will want to know about any questions or concerns you may have. 

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Blood and Mucus 3 Weeks aftewr Rhinoplasty

+1

Old blood, mucus, and remnants of crusts from turbinate reduction probably caused the nasal discharge. If this persists or concerns you, see your surgeon.

Blood after rhinoplasty

+1

Completely normal!  It is very common for blood, blood clots and mucous to be mildly retained in the nose after rhinoplasty or septoplasty.  In addition, turbinate reduction creates significant mucosal swelling and the normal drainage pattern of your nose will be altered for a short period.  Expect this issue to resolve within 7 days completely but you may continue to experience some mild postnasal drainage or internal congestion for 3-4 weeks during the early healing phase.  You can try a simple saline rinsing technique to help ( I suggest Neil - Med sinus rinse to patient's ... CVS, Walgreen's etc) and sometimes even a short term nasal spray will help.  Good luck!  Dr. Shep

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blob came out of nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

This sounds like it could be some of the resected turbinate along with inflammatory secretions.  You should have your Rhinoplasty surgeon examine the inside, of your nose, to rule out any lingering inflammation of the rescetd inferior turbinate(s). 

Tissue coming out of nos after surgery

+1

This is not common but, small pieces of tissue can inadvertantly be left behind. So what you experience is scarry but probably of no concern.  

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

A self-limited episode of bloody, mucoid post-nasal expectoration is common after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. Your nose is still in the healing process after nose job surgery, and it's common for your sinuses to fill with some blood during your procedure. It may take a full month for all of the blood in your sinuses to clear. If this persists, follow up with your surgeon for evaluation.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood after rhinoplasty

+1

Wow, better out than in. If surgery was three weeks ago you are well on your way to healing. Ask your surgeon if things are going as expected.

peterejohnsonmd

Alleviate your post-operative concerns by contacting your surgeon.

+1

It is difficult to comment on this type of question without examining you nor knowing the details of your procedure.  

In most circumstances, one would expect  minor discharge from the nose for several weeks after surgery.  This would include residual clots, crusting, and minor amounts of blood & mucous.  Turbinate reductions typically cause a fair amount of crusting and this is likely what has come up.  I would encourage you to contact your surgeon so that they can examine you,  comment more thoroughly, and alleviate your concerns.

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon