Slim Lipo vs. Cool Sculpting for Belly Fat and Love Handles?

What is the best treatment to remove belly fat and love handles? Both treatments get about 80% of thumbs up on this website. The photos of smart lipo show better results, ie. more fat removed. It also seems to me that the coolsculpting in the end will be very expensive because you need 3-4 treatments while from the slim lipo only one. What do doctors that offer both treatments recommend? Thank you!

SmartLIpo vs. CoolScultping

I have performed a great deal of tumescent liposuction over the years and was very excited when CoolSculpting's technology was developed by Zeltiq.  Not all patients who are candidates for liposuction want to undergo surgery. Not all patients who want to have liposuction are considered candidates for surgery as they may have a medical condition or take medications that would prevent us from doing the liposuction.  Some paitents have a small bulge and it doesn't warrant the risks of the liposcution procedure.

Patients who are interested in CoolSculpting are told by me in the consultation, that liposuction is more effective in removing the fat and that it may only be one surgery, although some patients do need to have a secondary procedure to improve lumps or depressions. Only after knowing the whole story and alternatives and how many treatments and cost, along with the risks, can a patient wisely choose what is best for them.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Slim Lipo vs. Cool Sculpting

Slim Lipo is a type of laser assisted liposuction.  This is a surgical procedure that requires small incisions, infiltration of tumescent solution, laser delivery via a "wand" and then liposuction to remove the fat cells.  Again, this is a surgical procedure and the outcome is going to greatly depend on the skill of the surgeon you have chosen.  

Cool Sculpting is a non-surgical procedure used to remove fat in targeted areas.  It requires multiple treatments and has varied results.  Some people respond very well to non-invasive fat reduction, while others do not.  Visit an experienced plastic surgeon who performs both liposuction and Cool Sculpting to get better recommendations on which is best for you.

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Ralph Trey Aquadro, MD
Auburn Plastic Surgeon

778 N Dean Rd.
Auburn, AL 36830

While both Slim Lipo and CoolSculpting target unwanted fat and aim to remove these areas, Slim Lipo is an invasive, surgical procedure while CoolSculpting is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment with absolutely zero downtime. During the procedure, patients can email, talk on the phone, watch tv, even eat and drink and immediately following, can resume their daily activities from exercising, to work, to social events.

Those patients with a significant amount of fat to remove may only qualify for a more extensive treatment, like surgical liposuction, whereas CoolSculpting is best suited for those with only a few inches and pounds to lose of stubborn fat.

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

230 W Washington Sq
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Coolsculpting versus slimlipo.

Coolsculpting is a very effective way to reduce fatty tissue in small areas of concern. Laser lipolysis can mean different things depending on where you go. In our practice, I use laser assisted liposuction (Slimlipo) to help tighten the skin in addition to reducing the fat. In general, I find liposuction gives me more flexibility and capabilities to achieve my patient's goal, but I still have a great number of patients who opt for the non-invasive option. I recommend going to a plastic surgeon who offers Coolsculpting as well as other surgical options for you to compare. I was the first plastic surgeon in Houston to adopt Coolsculpting in their practice and still find it a very usual option for my patients. We even brought on more devices so we can shorten the treatment time for patients who opt for multiple treatment areas.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction

In my practice I offer both CoolSculpting and tumescent liposuction, and I believe that each has wonderful applications. Liposuction ultimately allows the most control in contouring as it is easy to work my way around the whole body including areas like arms, abdomen, back, hips, thighs and knees. CoolSculpting can be done on many of the individual areas that you may be a candidate for liposuction for but is more of a solution for smaller trouble areas as opposed to a total body makeover type of solution. CoolSculpting does eliminate many of the risks associated with anesthesia and surgery in general which means that for individuals with particular trouble areas that they are looking to address it can be an incredible option.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027

Smart Lipo vs Cool Sculpting for Love Handles

You're right that the photos on the website show better results with smart lipo. That is because smart lipo is a surgical procedure where a laser fiber is delivered under the skin into the fat cells where they are directly destroyed. The fat remnants are then removed by liposuction so the final outcome is greater with smart liposuction than with cool sculpting. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consult and treatment plan.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

9850 Genesee Ave #480
La Jolla, CA 92037-1217

Cool Sculpting vs Laser Liposuction

Cool Sculpting to me is a very consistent technology with reproducible results.  For liposuction I did not choose laser liposuction as a procedure for any of my patients.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

1510 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78703

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction

The only way to determine whether or not you could benefit from CoolSculpting or Liposuction is through a consultation.  By visiting a plastic surgery practice that offers both CoolSculpting and liposuction, you may be able to get the best possible answer. CoolSculpting is not a replacement for liposuction, but for people with small, isolated areas of fat, CoolSculpting can be a wonderful treatment with great results and no down time.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Slim Lipo vs. CoolSculpting

Thank you for your question. I believe CoolSculpting is a better option because it is non-invasive and has very little downtime. However, the best treatment also depends on how much fat you want removed. CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

5410 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253

Smart lipo versus Zeltiq

Coolsculpting by Zeltiq is amazing since it is non-surgical.  Smart lipo is surgery with a laser. There have been several reports of seromas and other complications from smart lipo. Since  smart lipo is a surgical procedure -not everyone is a surgical candidate or wants surgery. Zeltiq was invented as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction. It is great technique for freezing your fat in a given area by as much as 25% in one single treatment.  Zeltiq is highly effective, safe, non-surgical, and you can return to your work the same day after the procedure.  Be certain to consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

156 East 79th Street
New York, NY 10075