I have skin sagging around corners of my mouth & chin that makes me look old. What procedure is best to remove this? (photo)

I have skin sagging around the corners of my mouth and it makes me look old. what would be my best procedure to remove the sagging around my chin?

Mini lift

+3
You have excess skin from aging that his forming the deep nasolabial folds and marrionette lines. Its early so a mini or short scar facelift should be fine.  You have adequate volume so I wouldn't recommend fat grafting.  Best wishes!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Skin Sagging Around the Mouth

+3
Jeana - today we have so many options to offer for improvement of sagging skin.

The simplest options would be fillers improve the appearance of lines and sculpt and build volume around the face.  I often use these fillers in combination with a procedure for skin tightening - in our office we you RF technology.  These procedures are performed over a number of sessions but have the advantage of no pain, no down time and no scars!!

If you are looking for more drastic results then you can consider surgical options such as a facelift.  The particular procedure that will benefit you the most should be discussed in person with the Board Certified Surgeon of your choice.  Look for someone with significant experience in facial surgery.

Jason Altman, MD

Facelift may be the best option for loose skin around the mouth and lower face

+2
Thank you for your question and photograph.  Dermal fillers are a nonsurgical option however especially around the mouth and corners of the mouth I find dermal fillers often disappointing.

Generally speaking a facelift is the most effective modality treatment lower face, jawline and neck aging changes.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Facelift

+2
You have loose skin of your cheeks that is producing a squaring-off  appearance of your face.
You are an excellent candidate for a face lift with an associated neck tightening.  
For a more detailed recommendation I would recommend a personal consultation with a plastic surgeon

John M. Griffin, MD

Sagging skin

+1
No question in my mind, you are ready for a facelift.  Don't bother with quick fixes or injectables.  They will be a waste of money and a dissappointment.  You are a perfect candidate for a facelift.  It also appears you need your eyelids done as well.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

A natural looking facelift can help you. Getting long-term results with faster recovery is an option to consider

+1
You can also watch the video on YouTube "How to Treat Sagging Wrinkles Around the Mouth with Natural Looking Facial Cosmetic Surgery" which is a personal analysis and answer to your question (although you are not personally identifiable).

Facial aging is basically the descent or weakening of the support structure of both the skin and the underlying tissue called the SMAS, that stands for the superficial musculoaponeurotic system. When people come to our practice with this concern, they want similar results to the self-performed "mirror lift" where they physically and vertically lift everything upward. The mirror lift is a good test to see if a facelift is an appropriate procedure for them.

When you are doing your research, you will see terms such as facelift, face and neck lift, and neck lift. You’ll also come across all kinds of proprietary names that have been given to various quick recovery procedures or procedures that claim to be remarkable discoveries that are done by a particular company. All this can be confusing. Often people are afraid of having a procedure like a facelift or face and neck lift because they’ve seen pictures in magazines, read horror stories on the web, or they know someone who had a procedure and that person went through a very rocky healing process.

In my 20 years of practicing cosmetic surgery, specializing in facial aging effects on the eyes and face, I can tell you that a lot of fads have come and gone. Definitively, the best thing is to choose the surgery that gives you the best result that will be long-term and is done properly. There was a point in time where people were very excited about short scar limited incision facelifts, and unfortunately for people who have more volume shifting in their face, they can get an improvement but they don’t necessarily get everything that they want. A consultation is very important and make sure that you have a very good communication with the surgeon you choose.

In our practice, we developed over the 20 years a quick recovery concept but not doing shortcut procedures. I decided to do procedures that were typically done under general anesthesia but perform them under local anesthesia with minimal sedation. By developing this technique, we were able to get the full benefit of a more proper procedure and still reduce the risk as well as the recovery related to general anesthesia that prolongs surgery.

When I first moved to the Upper East Side in New York City, I was very shocked to see how many people looked very pulled and over tightened. Over time, I learned that the desired look is based on the aesthetic style of both the patient and the surgeon. I actually wrote a book a few years ago called, “The Fine Art of Looking Younger” where I explained that there are different surgeons with different styles. My particular style is more of a natural look, other people are more of an exaggerated look and it is a matter of person’s individual taste and comfort level. I always feel that every patient’s face has a unique character and it is my role as their surgeon to maintain that character and to restore the key elements of their appearance that make them look more youthful such as elevating the cheek, improving the jawline, improving the neck. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sagging around corners of mouth and chin

+1
A facelift would be the procedure I would recommend for you to correct the sagging around the corners of your mouth and chin.  A facelift addresses excess skin laxity in the lower third of the face caused normal aging.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of facelifts.  Explore your options and make an informed decision.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facial Rejuvenation Options for Sagging Skin Around the Chin

+1
It really depends on the exact nature of the issue. You may be able to get a significant improvement with fillers or fat grafting. Some patients may require a facelift procedure to address the jowling process, while others may need both volume restoration and surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

You are an example of a good candidate for facelift

+1
I think you would benefit from a full facelift which includes correction of everything from the lower eyelids to the clavicle. If this is too much surgery for now. Some camouflage could be done with fillers.

What would be the best procedure to improve the sagging around the corners of my mouth and sagging around my chin?

+1
I think the procedure that would give you the most bang for your buck would be a facelift with perhaps fat injections along the marionette line and the grooves between your chin and jowl

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon