Are sizers accurate?

Hi I'm a 38full B and I loved how the 450cc's implants looked in the doctors office. The nurse then told me if I like the 450cc's I need to go 475cc's that being said how accurate are the sizers in office? I would hate to pick in office and they be so much bigger after surgery. Also please tell me if she is right about picking 25cc's more due to being behind muscle. Please help me with these two questions. I'm so nervous. Thank you!! ;)

Breast implant sizers can give a good estimate of how you will look with breast implants

+2
Be sure to do your sizing system with a non-padded bra.

In my experience most patients are able to choose a breast implant size based on using the sizers in my office.

In my practice if the patient is happy with a particular size I do not recommend an additional 25 cc unless the patient is ambivalent or undecided whether to choose the next larger size of sizer.  I do not think you have to add 25 cc just because you're going below the muscle.

It is true the many women after a year of having breast implants wish they gone slightly larger and my guess is that is what the nurse is thinking when she suggest an additional 25 cc.

Realize that an additional 25 cc is not much volume only about a tablespoon.

If you felt very comfortable and happy with a 450 cc sizer then stick with that.

In my practice we use saline filled sizers during the course of the breast augmentation surgery.  My patients often ask me to make the decision which looks better 450 or 475 cc by placing that amount of saline in the sizers during surgery, and ask me to make this decision after sitting the patient up and looking at each size.

Sizers

+2
Hi there. In my experience the mentor sizing set is very accurate. In general 25 cc is very minimal amount of volume and I would rather hedge larger than smaller but either implant type will work well. The sizers do look a little larger and so upping 25 cc is more of the look you saw in consultation for the final product. You can always size again and sometimes that helps too. Good luck!

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Sizers Have Variable Accuracy

+1
I can understand your concern with wanting to be sure to choose correctly prior to the surgery. In my practice, I have found the sizers to have variable accuracy with my patients. It is helpful when patients bring pictures of what they would like to achieve to their consultation. It requires about 150cc to 200cc to increase breasts one to one-and-a-half cups, so 25cc is really quite small an amount, equivalent to about a tablespoon. Because the muscle pushes down on the implant, if you are having breast implants under the muscle, your surgeon will likely guide you to increase your size choice by 25cc to possibly 50cc, whereas implants over the muscle do not require this increase. The size for you is best determined by consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Ultimately, choose the size with which you feel most comfortable. Best wishes.

Karen Singer, MD

Breast

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizers

+1
  • Sizers are generally helpful and quite accurate,
  • But nothing is exact -
  • Implants can look a bit smaller once they are inside,
  • The real question is - after surgery, would you be more distressed if you felt the implants were a little too large, or a little too small?
  • If you would be happier with a little too small - stay with the size.
  • If you would be happier with a little too large - go up 25 cc.
  • The difference is 1.5 tablespoons - not much.
  • Your implants already are large - if in doubt, do not go bigger.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Are sizers accurate?

+1
    Sizers remain the most reasonable tool.  Adding a small amount to that sizing amount is reasonable.