Are sizers accurate?
Doctor Answers (6)
Breast implant sizers can give a good estimate of how you will look with breast implants
In my experience most patients are able to choose a breast implant size based on using the sizers in my office.
In my practice if the patient is happy with a particular size I do not recommend an additional 25 cc unless the patient is ambivalent or undecided whether to choose the next larger size of sizer. I do not think you have to add 25 cc just because you're going below the muscle.
It is true the many women after a year of having breast implants wish they gone slightly larger and my guess is that is what the nurse is thinking when she suggest an additional 25 cc.
Realize that an additional 25 cc is not much volume only about a tablespoon.
If you felt very comfortable and happy with a 450 cc sizer then stick with that.
In my practice we use saline filled sizers during the course of the breast augmentation surgery. My patients often ask me to make the decision which looks better 450 or 475 cc by placing that amount of saline in the sizers during surgery, and ask me to make this decision after sitting the patient up and looking at each size.
Sizers Have Variable Accuracy
You might also like...
To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.
- Sizers are generally helpful and quite accurate,
- But nothing is exact -
- Implants can look a bit smaller once they are inside,
- The real question is - after surgery, would you be more distressed if you felt the implants were a little too large, or a little too small?
- If you would be happier with a little too small - stay with the size.
- If you would be happier with a little too large - go up 25 cc.
- The difference is 1.5 tablespoons - not much.
- Your implants already are large - if in doubt, do not go bigger.