Heading Back to Work After BBL, What Can I do to Prevent Damage While Sitting all Day at my Desk?

I got my bbl last we and its almost time for me to go back to work.problem is that I work in a office whcih is sitting down 8 hrs a mon to fri ..what can I do to prevent damage to my bbl?please help!!thank you in advance

What Can I Do to Sit at Work After my Brazilian Butt Lift?

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after the surgery. They can walk and sleep on their belly, just no sitting. After the first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between sitting sessions. After six weeks they can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure. The key with these specialized pillows is that all of the weight is on the posterior thighs and not on the buttock. The buttock should be hanging off the end of the pillows.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Better to not sit at all in first two weeks

The best person to ask about this is your surgeon, as every surgeon has their own advice. Generally, I recommend that patients don't sit at all for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Sitting for long periods of time during this stage of recovery will damage the fat that has been transferred to your buttocks, compromising results. If you have to sit, do so for very short period of times and alter your position so you don't put too much pressure in one area for too long.

How long should you not sit after Brazilian Butt Lift?

This is one of those questions that patients should always ask their surgeon PRIOR to surgery.  You need to know how long you need to take off work to obtain a good result and prevent loss of your fat cells.  If your surgeon is experienced with this procedure, they should discuss with your prior to surgery what you will need to do after surgery.  If you can not follow the recommendations that your surgeon gives you to get a good result, then you shouldn't have the surgery.  I would not recommend returning to work after one week.  But, if your surgeon gets beautiful results and all of his patients return to work at one week, then maybe it is ok.

Brazilan Butt Lift and Sitting

For transferred fat cells to survived the blood supply must be able to attach itself to these cells and feed them. Nothing interferes more with this processes of graft immobility than movement cursed by sitting related compression and decompression. It will interfere with vascularization of the graft. 

There is no substitute for rest and immobility. You may want to try doing your job standing or sitting on the back of your thighs without putting pressure on your buttocks. Discuss it with your surgeon. 

Don't sit all day, walk a lot. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS