Can Silkpeel Dermalinfusion Make Dermal Melasma Worse?

I have been managing my melasma (which developed after I had Fraxel 1.5 years ago) fairly well until I fell asleep under a skylight in my house and had a new flare up on my upper lip. It's mixed dermal and epidermal. I was referred by a derm to silkpeel and it sounds like a good option when paired with skin brighteners but the last thing I want to do is make the new patch darker so I'm hoping to learn more about the real risks of silkpeel to people like myself.

Silkpeel microdermabrasion for melasma

+1

Silkpeel dermalinfusion with lumixyl is generally quite helpful for melasma, along with proper sunscreen, and possibly a home fading/bleaching system. However, you may have more of a post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from your previous Fraxel treatment rather than true melasma. I would speak with a dermatologist about the best treatment option and avoiding triggers that may worsen your skin e.g. hormones, sun, irritation etc.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

A challenging case

+1

Although I have found Silkpeel very effective for melasma and have never seen it flare dermal melasma (although it may not help either) , you seem to have an unusual case. The fact that you did not have melasma before Fraxel, I am wondering if you really have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and not melasma at all. Have you seen a board-certified dermatologist? It might be you need a fresh viewpoint.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist