Do Silicone Overs Drop and Fluff?

I am 11 days post op. Just wondering if my current size and look well change much? If so, how? Larger, smaller? Am I still l swollen?

Breast Implants “Drop and Fluff”?

+2

Thank you for the question.  Although I am not able to give you  advice specific to your situation, generally speaking, breast implants of both types (saline and silicone)  tend to “settle” over the course of the first few months after surgery.  As this process occurs, patients often do tell me  that they feel that their breasts appear larger;  thus the term "drop and fluff".  Also as the breast implants “settle”, the nipple/areola complexes appear to “rise” on the breast mounds.

At 11 days after surgery you are still swollen and your implants will settle down more

+1
At 11 days after surgery you are still swollen and your implants will settle down more.  You should wait full 3-4 months to see the final results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Usually, yes

+1
All implants usually drop and fluff.

When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or dual plane (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This is what is happening to you based on your photos.

As you progress in your recovery, they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

For this reason, I suggest you wait until about three to four months after surgery before assessing your results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Settling implants

+1

You can expect your implants to 'drop' with time and  hopefully it will still be satisfactory to you.  If you find yourself thinking they  are perfect and you're still early in your recovery, you may want to check with your surgeon about wearing a supportive bra to help maintain 'perfect' and avoid further settling.  Please let your surgeon help you through your recovery process.

Curtis Wong, MD

Drop and fluff?

+1

Hello. At only 11 days post op your current look and size will definitely change. I would expect the implants will definitely drop some which could be seen as larger to some patients. Over all it is best to give your implants time before worrying too much about their appearance. I would talk to your surgeon about these questions since he would know the most about your specific case.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Silicone breast implant over muscle

+1

It is normal at 11 days to be bit swollen after silicone breast implants but this should resolve quickly. If you have not had children the skin will be tighter and take a longer time to stretch. Within a few months the upper pole will be less full and the breast will take on a more natural shape. This will happen more quickly with smaller implants and in women who have stretched the skin from breast feeding. At this point your breasts should be getting smaller or staying the same. If they are getting larger you should call your surgeon to examine you again to be sure there is no problem. Good luck!

William LoVerme, MD

Silicone Implants In Subglandular Plane and Settling Time

+1

Implants in the subglandular plane will definitely stretch the envelope over time.  At 11 days, swelling is probably a factor as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Silicone implants

+1

At 11 days post-op your breasts are probably swollen and tight.  They will soften over time and the swelling will improve, but it will probably take several months.