Hitting Nose After Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty Affect Healing?

I had a Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty operation done 5 days ago, and today I was washing my face when I accidentally hit my nose (it is still in the cast). It wasn't a hard hit--more like a slight knock with my fingers. But as I only had the operation 5 days ago, I was wondering if this could affect the healing process in any way?

Bumping the nose after a rhinoplasty should not affect the healing

+1
 A gentle bumping of the nose after the rhinoplasty procedure should not affect the shape of the nose.  A very hard hit to the nose might break the nose and displace it within the first few weeks after a rhinoplasty procedure.

Trauma after Septorhinoplasty

+1

The nose gets stronger each day after a septorhinoplasty.  It is paramount that the nose is not hit during this period as it is delicate.  This is especially true if grafts were used or a complex reconstruction of the nose was utilized.

While a small tap is unlikely to alter the appearance of the nose, it definitely can.  You should speak openly with your surgeon about this and have him/her follow your nose along.  Often times it is not possible to tell if a hit to the nose was disruptive until much of the swelling has dissipated.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

What degree of injury after Rhinoplasty is significant?

+1

We are all told not to move/shift the nose after surgery because it's in a weakened state and could more easily be altered. However over 20 years of practice only a few times has the course of healing been negatively affected by an injury. A small 'tap' on the nose is unlikely to cause trouble.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild trauma to nose after septorhinoplasty should not be a problem

+1

I would not think that a slight knock to the nose after septorhinoplasty would be a problem. The cast should protect the nose from mild trauma. However, if you have any concerns, you should certainly contact your surgeon. As a surgeon, I would want to know if there were any issues in the postoperative period.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma after Rhinoplasty

+1

A significant blow to the nose after septorhinoplasty can displace nasal cartilage and bone. A "slight knock" with your fingers is unlikely to have caused significant damage, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. The best thing to do is to mention the incident to your surgeon so he or she can carefully inspect your nose after the splint comes off.

Sam Jejurikar, MD