Septoplasty Without Cotton-stuffed Nose?

Hi, I have a deviated septum all my life. I was punched in the nose when I was a little kid. Can I get Septoplasty without stuffing the nose with cotton? I have extreme claustrophobia and could not handle the cotton? Please help.

Thank You, Tom

No need for packing

+1

I have been doing septoplasrty procedures without packing for the last 10 years, there is no need for this uncomfortable,  sometimes painful treatment

Septoplasty recovery

+1

Nasal packing is performed to reduce swelling and bleeding  postoperatively. Steps can be taken to minimize the need for lengthy packing, but I would recommend at least 24 hours of the packing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Nasal Packing After Septoplasty Not Necessary

+1

Following septal surgery, most surgeons prefer to support the inside of the nose with either packing (cotton, gauze strips, or non-adherent bandage material) or with septal splints. Septal splints are made from soft silicone and allow the patient to be able to breath while they are in place. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty without cotton nasal packing

+1

Tomsds,

Yes, one does not absolutely need cotton nasal packing after septoplasty or deviated septum surgery.

Most plastic surgeons and otolaryngologist use cotton packing temporarily to help control natural bloody oozing following nasal surgery. This nasal discharge after surgery is the worst the first day, but often takes several days to resolve. Some surgeons may also use temporary silicone splint to help support the septum during the healing period.

You may have a little extra nasal mucous discharge or nose bleed after surgery, if packing is not used. The amount of discharge or bleeding largely depends on the surgery performed, patient anatomy, and degree of septal deviation.

Ultimately, the decision for nasal packing depends on the surgeon, patient, and extent of nasal or sinus surgery. Speak with your facial plastic surgeon. Let him/her know your concerns about packing.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon