Septoplasty Without Cotton-stuffed Nose?

Hi, I have a deviated septum all my life. I was punched in the nose when I was a little kid. Can I get Septoplasty without stuffing the nose with cotton? I have extreme claustrophobia and could not handle the cotton? Please help.

Thank You, Tom

No need for packing

I have been doing septoplasrty procedures without packing for the last 10 years, there is no need for this uncomfortable,  sometimes painful treatment

9843 Gross Point Rd
Skokie, IL 60076

Septoplasty recovery

Nasal packing is performed to reduce swelling and bleeding  postoperatively. Steps can be taken to minimize the need for lengthy packing, but I would recommend at least 24 hours of the packing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Nasal Packing After Septoplasty Not Necessary

Following septal surgery, most surgeons prefer to support the inside of the nose with either packing (cotton, gauze strips, or non-adherent bandage material) or with septal splints. Septal splints are made from soft silicone and allow the patient to be able to breath while they are in place. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

8144 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas, TX 75231