Septoplasty Recovery - Time, Tips, How Long?

Quite sure I need a septoplasty surgery but worried about the recovery process. I saw on realself about rhinoplasty recovery, is it similar with septplasty? What do i need to consider about recovering: downtime, medications, pain, etc? thank you so very much for your expert opinions.

Recovery following Septorhinoplasty

+3

Patients go home with an external splint or special tape.  The splint is usually removed in 7-10 days. Internal soft silicone splints may be used after septoplasty and remain in place for 1-3 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication and head elevation.
Majority of swelling and bruising subsides progressively over 2-4 weeks.
External sutures (if any) are removed in 4-6 days. Internal sutures dissolve spontaneously.
An early result is evident in 3 months.  Final results become evident in 12-14 months which is the time necessary for complete tissue softening.
Areas of sensitivity or numbness will slowly resolve; the tip of the nose will feel stiff or “woody” and this will improve over the first several months.  Other temporary conditions may include some airway or sinus blockage, nasal drainage, lumps and irregularities.

Septoplasty Recovery

+2

If all of the work is done internally, there is usually a splint inside of your nose that is removed in a week. Recovery is usually more streamlined as there is no external nasal splint.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Septoplasty- what to expect

+2

Generally speaking a simple septoplasty is fast and relatively painless. Sometimes they can be complex and involve more extesive cartilage and  bone  work. Either way there you may have a minor ''packing" , a piece of cotton or gauze. This usually comes out in 24-48 hours. Should the septum require silicone plates for stability these are usually removed in a week by your surgeon.Initially you may still feel the air is not moving through your nose because swelling of the soft tissue. This will resolve itself in a couple of weeks. I encourage my patients to use Afrin to decrease swelling and Ocean spray to assist in mosturizing the inside of the nose. Cleaning of the openings of dried blood can be done with a Q-tip and hydrogen peroxide

.In any event, you need to be seen in  person  by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assist you in making a decision as to what is best for you. I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty recovery

+2

I routinely recommend the following: If surgery occurs on a friday you will feel under the weather through the weekend.  By monday you will feel very comfortable with normal activities and answering texts, emails, and phone calls if you choose.  Ideally, take one full week off from work.  At the end of that week the splints (plastic pieces that hold the septal lining back together) are removed.  At this time, resume full work schedule and consider light activity only.  Strenous activity can begin again at 2 weeks.  You will have no bruising or external signs of surgery from just a septoplasty so the recovery is quicker than a rhinoplasty.  It is common to have numbness at the tip of the nose and even the front teeth for a short period of time measured in weeks.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after septoplasty

+1
The recovery for septoplasty is much less than for rhinoplasty.  You do not get nearly the swelling or numbness, and it recovers much faster.  You can still have numbness, however.  In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

septoplasty recovery and downtime

+1
 The septoplasty procedure involves removal of obstructing cartilage and bone in the back of the nose that is blocking air flow once medical necessity has been documented. The procedure is performed under a brief general anesthetic. There is one small half-inch incision located inside the nose and 2-3  dissolvable stitches are placed inside the nose to close the incision. There is no packing placed inside the nose which makes it much less painful than many years ago. Patients are unable to breathe out of her nose for one week due to the swelling from the surgery. We ask that patients refrain from exercise and strenuous activity for 2 weeks after the procedure to prevent a nosebleed. Most patients take one week off from work. Most patients take a few  medium strength pain pills such as Vicodin or Percocet the first few nights after the procedure to help them get some sleep.

Septoplasty Recovery

+1

Septoplasty is a generic term which means "reshaping of the septum".  The amount of recovery is based on the degree of correction.  In general, I advocate the most conservative approach to correct your nasal obstruction.  

Simple septoplasty may involve a few days of nasal obstruction due to intranasal swelling.  Typically there is no external swelling of the nose.  Patients can often go to work soon after the procedure.  Complex septoplasty may involve opening the nose or reconstruction of the septum and may require a week of recovery.  In these cases, the patient may experience a longer degree of nasal obstruction and more discomfort.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Septoplasty

+1

Thanks for the great question. As with anything in medicine, patient recovery can be different depending on specific healing characteristics, the degree of damage being repaired, etc. That said, I quote patients in my practice a 7 day recovery. For some it may be even less. When the septum is very deviated, I may place temporary stents inside the nose. These are removed at one week post-op.  After this visit, patients feel much better.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty

+1

Usually, your nose will be "stuft up" for about 10days and you probably will not be able to breathe through it for that long. Pain is usually minimal. You should be able to go back to almost full activity after two to three weeks. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon