Is it Okay to Itch Your Head After Hair Transplants?

SIR, I done my hair transplantation on sep 29/2012,now 2 months gone .Now i am feeling itching some times when am sleeping i am scratching my recipient area .I would like to know because of this scratching it affect my hair growth

Gentle itching 2 months after a hair transplant should not affect hair growth

Good question. It is generally recommended that you avoid scratching your head if you've just had a hair transplant. However, gentle scratching two months after the procedure should not cause a problem. If you have any concerns, contact the doctor who performed the transplant.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itchy Scalp

Two months after your hair transplant your scalp may be slightly dry and irritated.  It is okay to massage and/or gently scratch your scalp.  Moisturizing your scalp may help also.

Dr. ES

Itching After Hair Transplant

Immediately following hair transplant and for up to two weeks you should try to refrain from itching or rubbing your head. However, by two weeks post-op, both the donor and recipient areas should have healed and shed of scabbing. The follicles should also be securely rooted in the scalp by this time. Gentle itching is probably okay, especially at 2 months post-op.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Itching 2 months after hair transplant

Normally, we don't like patients to pick at scabs/dried blood spots after HT surgery as they can dislodge the grafts.  At two months out, gentle scratching should be OK.  Of course, it's always a good idea to go see your surgeon and give him/her a chance to look at your scalp and give you some reassurance.  Congratulations on your decision to have a hair restoration procedure!  Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD

Scratch away

After two months you should not have to worry about scratching your head.  If you are concerned, it is always a good idea to follow up with your doctor

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

2 months after procedure

By two months the follicles should be well integrated into the scalp.  Gentle scratching an itch shouldn't pose a problem.  Don't break the skin.  Mild itching is not uncommon. Extensive itchiness should be evaluated by your doctor.

Tim Neavin, MD

Itching the recipient area after hair transplant

2 weeks post hair transplant, itching & rubbing should be avoided completely. After that, gentle rub, scratch may be fine but avoiding it will be a better thing.

Better see your hair transplant surgeon for any problem for proper assessment & better management.

Avoid scratching scalp after transplant

You need to avoid scratching because you can infect your hair transplant site with bacteria from your hands.  Also, at two months you will start to see new growth which can contribute to an itchy scalp. 

Jack Fisher, MD