Scar Treatment After Mastectomy?

I have bright red scars after a mastectomy 2 months ago. They are flat and not painful but wider than I would have liked. Is there a treatment that I can use to minimize the appearance of scars?

I know that there are silicon sheets and various creams, but I don't know what is most effective. What kind of ingredients should I look for? Is laser a good option? If so, what kind of laser? When should that happen for optimal results?

Red scars after mastectomy

+2

The redness in the scars at 2 months is related to the increased blood flow in your healing scars. As time goes on, the redness will fade to a white scar. I would not recommend laser treatments or whitening creams at this point.

You do not mention whether you have had a breast reconstruction. If you have tissue expanders and are setup for a staged breast reconstruction, the mastectomy scars will likely be revised at the time of implant exchange.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Time and sun avoidance are best for scars

+2

Early on scars may be red. This color within the scar should fade to an extent given time. Silicone sheeting and creams can be applied. GIve things a year to improve before doing anything. Scar revision can be offered for areas that don't improve to your satisfaction at that point.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment after mastectomy

+2

Creams and silicone gel sheeting is helpful for raised, bumpy scars. Sounds like you have a flat, immature, red scar that would probably respond best to laser/light therapies including the pulsed-dye laser (V-beam) and IPL (intense pulsed light). I would start a series of laser/light treatments at 4 week intervals as soon as you are able to do so.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.