What is Scar Tissue Inside the Breast Suppose to Feel Like?

Hi, I recently had my implants removed. I decided to get a breastlift now I have hardness in my right breast is this normal? My PS tells me is scar tissue but im concern because when I touch my breast I could feel the hardness deep in my breast. It feels like I could dig in my breast and take it out is like the size of a plum if it is scartissue. I had surgery done three months ago. Thank you

Scar Tissue after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

Unfortunately,  it is not possible to give you good advice regarding the “hardness” you are feeling in the breast  without direct examination. I think it would be in your best interests  to continue with close follow-up with your plastic surgeon ( as opposed to online consultants' speculation) who knows your situation best, and will be able to make a diagnosis and treatment plan for you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastRevision.htm

Scar after implant removal?

+1

Typically when I remove implants I remove the capsule (scar) that surrounds the implant.  Was this done in your case?  I also typically will place several rows of sutures to close the former pocket.  If this was not done then it's possible that you have developed some fluid (seroma) in the pocket where your former implant was.  Your issue should be prety easy to diagnose.  Good luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.psurgery.com

Scar tissue "feel" in one breast after implant removal and breast lift.

+1

At three months post-op, you are not yet completely healed, but are well on the way. Some firmness can be due to scar formation within the breast tissue, and this generally softens over time (6-12 months). Occasionally, particularly in smokers, there can be ischemia (lack of circulation, significantly worsened by nicotine) causing fatty tissue to die (fat necrosis) which will also soften over time, but not always completely.

One other potential cause for the feeling of a "plum-sized" lump within the breast is a collection of blood or serum (hematoma or seroma) that may need to be drained. An ultrasound can easily determine this (so can a properly-directed needle!), but you need to see your surgeon to take either of these steps. This may actually be the most likely cause, since there is a residual pocket where your implants were, and a collection of fluid would not be unusual at all. Since you note this on one side only, it is not just a "normal" part of healing!

While not an emergency, I would not just "let this go." See your doctor and listen to his advice. Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/breast-lift.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon