Breast Asymetry Cause by Scoliosis, What Are My Options?

My breasts are asymmetrical thanks to my scoliosis. I was wondering by looking at my photos if i can get any suggestions. 2 PS's have told me to get a "mini lift" on the larger breast when one surgeon told me not to do a lift at all. Is it possible this can even be fixed? I'm told I have poland's syndrome but after googling I'm pretty sure my asymmetry is due to my scoliosis.

Treatment of Breast Asymmetry?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I think you will be best off with bilateral breast augmentation as well as breast lifting of the lower breast.  The breast lifting as well as the use of different volumes/profiles of breast implants ( preferably dual plane silicone gel) will serve to improve the symmetry of the breasts.

It will be important to seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon well experienced in the treatment of significant breast asymmetry.

Breasts of different size may develop normally

+1

Patients with signficant breast asymmetry like in the picture shown can be helped signficantly, but the options are as many as the desires of different individuals.

My preferred approach to address this problem is a periareolar lift with a contralateral fat transfer as the first stage.  This could be followed by an implant augmentation as a second procedure, or the implant be inserted in the first stage.

The most important factor is to find a plastic surgeon experienced in the treatment of breast asymmetry as this is not a simple issue to correct but it can be with wonderful outcomes.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift ,breast asymmetry

+1

From your photos think your problem is more a problem of breast asymmetry then Scoliosis or Poland's syndrome. If you were to measure the distance from your  right clavicle to the nipple it will be less than the distance from the left  clavicle to the left nipple.

A mastopexy(breast lift) of the left side would be needed him to raise the nipple to the same height as the right side. I don't think an augmentation alone can solve the problem of the different nipple  levels.Implants in your case could be used to make your breast larger if you want them larger. If you like the size of your breasts now then a left-sided lift and small reduction would be the best procedure to even out breast. 

Wendell Perry, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Both scoliosis and Poland's syndrome can cause breast asymmetry, but they also cause more skeletal asymmetry than your photos show.  Yours is probably a case of developmental asymmetry.  The question is what to do about it.  You will definitely need to have your left breast lifted (and possibly reduced slightly) at the least.  You will get a better result if both are augmented.  This is not as simple as it sounds.  Although all women have some degree of asymmetry; the amount you have is somewhat uncommon.  You should seek a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.  Ask to see photos of similar cases he/she has done.  Do not chose a surgeon whose photos you don't like or one that has no photos to show you.  There are many qualified surgeons in the Chicago area so keep looking until you find the right one.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Breast asymmetry from scoliosis

+1

1. You do not seem to have Poland's syndrome from these photographs.

2. Breast asymmetry can appear because of shape of the chest wall, but many women have perfectly normal chest/spine and still have breast asymmetry.

To be honest, your chest wall shape seems to be pretty normal and does not seem to contribute to the breast asymmetry.

3. Breast asymmetry is pretty common. The goal is always the same - to find out if you are happy with either of the breasts and then build up/reduce/modify the other one to match the one you like.

If you like neither of them, then build up/reduce/modify both to try to match your expectations.

4. If you are reasonably happy with your left breast, then all you need is a smallish implant on the right side.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breasts and scoliosis

+1

Your breast asymmetry has nothing to do with scoliosis. Everyone has some breast asymmetry.  As for the right procedure for you, it really depends upon what your goals are.  A lift on the lower side perhaps just around the areola combined with implants may be the right solution. However, an exam is critical.

Breast asymmetry can definitely be corrected.

+1

Hi.

Whether it is due to scoliosis or not, it can be dramatically improved.  You definitely need a lift.  Your choices are

1)  lift and a little reduction of bigger breast and leave smaller breast alone, or

2)  lift and small implant in larger breast, and larger implant in small breast.

I would recommend #2.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You do not have Poland's syndrome

+1
You have developmental uneven breast. You can have lift and reduction to even out the size and shape. The other option is left breast lift and fat grafting to even out the size. The third option is lift on the left and implant for the right breast to even out the size.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry with scoliosis

+1

Scoliosis can cause asymmetry of the chest which can affect breast shape and projection, though scoliosis itself is not a cause of breast asymmetry. Also, you do not have Poland's syndrome. Your asymmetry is developmental like so many other individuals. The situation can be improved by reducing the larger breast, or you can also consider breast implants to equalize the breast volume, and a lift on the larger to adjust the skin envelope for the best symmetry.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast asymmetry, scoliosis

+1

It is very important to envision the breasts you want to have and then to have a careful and thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon about the steps needed to accomplish this.  Ask to see before and after photos of cases that he/she has done.  Choosing the right breast implant size will require trying on some breast implant sizers in the office to make sure that the breast size is appropriate for you and the size difference between the implants reduces the current size asymmetry.  There will likely be the need for some lower breast pole tissue scoring on the right and a small lift on the left.  Doing both through an incision around the areola may be a good way to achieve comparable appearance of the areolas as well in the end.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD