Steroid Injections for Scar Tissue from Blepharoplasty?

I am now almost 6 weeks out from upper and lower Blepharoplasty. Scar tissue has formed under my lower right eyelid and I have been doing the massages for 2 weeks. My Dr. has given me the option of injecting steroids to dissolve this unsightly bulge. Has anyone had this done and what were your results?

Eyelid swelling after blepharoplasty

+3

Dear M. Lannie, does the bulge move when you move your eyes- up, down, left or right. is it on both sides or mostly on the right side? is it soft or hard? Has there been any improvement?

Healing with the eyelids can take time and massage and steroids will help. the most change you will see is in the first 4 months but the earliest time for more intervention in most cases is much longer.

The 'scar tissue' can be there for several reasons- fluid collection, swelling in the tissues (muscle, fat, skin), hematoma, residual fat.

the steroids will soften the scar tissue nicely- have to be done in small amounts and very dilute so there is not any atrophy of the skin and underlying tissues.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Steroids after blepharoplasty

+2

Steroid typically are not necessary after blepharoplasty, but can be very useful in specific situations.  If you have extensive scar tissue or retraction of the lid, then injection of the steroids may help soften up the tissue and resolve the problems faster.  Good luck with your recovery.

It may be okay

+2

I often hear about bulging scars of the lower lid. I'm not sure why it occurs unless the patient is of color and we're talking about hypertrophy of the scar. With that said I thinks steroids can help but if you are darker skinned this can cause hypopigmentation. A small amount of kenalog, i.e. 1-2mg would be all that I would inject. Waiting is not a bad option either.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Be careful with steroids

+2

I would probably wait another 6 weeks before deciding on the final result. You can have swelling for 2 to 3 months after eyelid surgery and injecting steroids now may be premature.

Steroids work, but they can thin tissues and cause atrophy that is not reversible. Give massage some more time and wait on the steroids until all healing has taken place. Even then, I would only use the most minimal amount of steroid (if at all). Discuss the options with your doctor. You may also want a second opinion in the meantime. Best of luck.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections will help

+1

Cortisone shots are a very acceptable form of treatment for small areas of bulging on the eyelids. If there is residual fat present, the cortisone shots will not help with this. We inject steroids into small areas of the incisions independently to effect a change such as flattening of the scar.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com