Scar Revision Post-Op 2 Week? (photo)

Hi, I just had scar revision on a cluster of depressed scarring on my forehead. My doctor suggested he cut out the scarred skin from the and suture the skin back together. He said that he was make the incision all the natural creases in my forehead. So what would result would be a very thin, if barely noticeable forehead line. Right now, post op 14 days, i have pen thick incision line thats red, and lumpy. Typically will the incision line fill out, become narrow, and flatten over time?

Appearance and Care of Forehead Scar 2 weeks Following Revision

+2

Right now your healing appears satisfactory. The swelling you feel now is normal and will slowly improve with time. The pink color is also normal for this time period, and will slowly fade. The skin closure looks indented/depressed because of swelling in the adjacent skin edges; as the swelling resolves the scar will look less indented. You will not achieve the final result for 9-12 months.

Sun protection is very important.

Scar massage can be started in the next 1-2 weeks.

You may wish to consider topical products such as Neocutis Bio-Serum or silicone gel sheeting.

This may be a scar that will benefit from some Fraxel laser resurfacing to help with blending. I typically commence those treatments at about 3 months post-op.

I cannot accurately determine your skin type form this photograph but if you are a Fitzpatrick type III or above you should also consider bleaching agents (hydroquinone, and others) to prevent hyperpigmentation of the scar or surrounding skin edges.

You mentioned that your doctor was going to place the scar in the relaxed skin tension lines of the forehead. This scar appears to have a broad V-shape in this photograph, suggesting that it will cross some of these skin creases (…unless the excision lines were marked while you were contracting your forehead muscles to raise your eyebrows)

Have your surgeon follow you closely as you heal so you can achieve the best results. Be patient and with proper attention you can achieve a nice result.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Fractional co2 skin resurfacing for scars

+1
The scar will improve with time.  Ancillary procedures to improve scarring include pulsed dye laser and fractional co2 laser skin resurfacing.  In our office, we recommend the Plato's Scar Serum to improve scarring in the early phase of healing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS