When Can I Lift my 18 Month Old? 25 Pounds+. Getting a BA BL TT and Lipo of Upper Arm Outer Thigh?

Hi I am a working mom and I am wondering truly when is that I can lift my 18 month old. I have to plan for someone to pick her up from school and put her in get car seat. Hubby is planning to do pick up duty in the evenings for 2 weeks but can't leave work early after that. I need to know how long after my surgery can I lift her put her in her car seat, high chair out her in her crib etc. I will be getting BA BL TT lipo of upper arm outer thighs. 6 hrs under. I am not huge. 125 pounds. 5-3.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures.  After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours if needed.   All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Most of my mommy makeover patients are comfortable with driving 7-10 days after their surgery.  I generally recommend taking 7-10 days off from a desk job after a mommy makeover procedure.  Doing too much too soon can definitely increase your risk of healing problems or fluid collections (seromas).

Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff.  It is very important you allow enough time for yourself and your recovery.  Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.   Please plan and give enough time for your recovery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu
houston, tx

Makeover for Mom and Toddlers...always a challenge.

+1

Probably the most common issue my patients face when having a Makeover for Mom is how to care for their toddlers post-operatively.   Most mommie makeovers include a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck, which, in my patients, include extensive muscle manipulations.  When muscles are involved in surgery lifting should always be avoided post-operatively, which of course, means you cannot lift your toddler.  This can be a deal breaker for some moms.  I recommend a minimum of three weeks, and would prefer six weeks of no lifting.  Most moms are so used to be being the primary care taker for their family that it is difficult for them to take the time necessary to recuperate.  Remember, your Makeover is your family's gift to you for all you've done for them.  Take the time necessary to recover.  You will be a better care giver in the long run, and more importantly...you deserve it. 

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Lifting after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. Remember, that your plastic surgeon knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing ( with or without complications),  knows more precisely what you are planning on doing when it comes to activities, and is ultimately responsible for your care.
 Receiving advice online in this regard may be confusing or worse.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedures.

When to lift baby after a mommy make-over.

+1

Thank you for asking about when to lift your daughter after a tummy tuck.

1. At 2 weeks, we have 70% of your final healing. It is usually ok to lift a small child at this point after a tummy tuck, breast augmentation and breast lift.
  2. Lift by kneeling down, have your child climb onto you, then stand - and be near a chair or other support.
  3. Ask you surgeon at your 2 week visit if this is ok, given your tummy tuck and breast lift - breast augmentation healing. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lifting Child After Mommy Makeover

+1

Having help for the first 2 weeks after surgery should work well. Discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon prior to surgery.  He will be the one to make this call.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD