Why is my Dr Telling Me to Wait 12 Weeks Post Op to Return to Crossfit when Everything I Find Online Says 4-6 Weeks?

I was a very active person prior to my mommy makeover (breat lift, augmentation, tummy tuck & lipo on the tummy area), I did crossfit 4-5 times wk & tae kwon do. At 5 weeks post op my doctor said I can run but that is it. I am 8 wks post op & he says I still need to wait another month before returning to crossfit or any exercise. Everything I find online says that you can work back into your regular workout routine, even crossfit at 4-6 weeks. Why would there be such a difference in opinion?

Resuming Crossfit After Cosmetic Surgery

+1

One can resume most Crossfit activities after 4 weeks. I would wait 6 weeks for any real strenuous activities to allow for maximal wound healing.

When to resume “Intense” abdominal exercises after a TT

+1

From the medical community, the 6 week number for allowing patients to resume exercises came from wound healing data related to hernia repairs.  The average person can resume average exercise at that time and not run into problems.  However, extreme athletes do not do average exercise, and tend to put a lot more strain across the surgically tightened region of the abdomen.  I make my patients wait 10 weeks before resuming strong core activity.  Yes, it is one more month of not exercising strenuously, but if that means your tight abdomen will last the rest of your life, it is worth the investment.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Returning to Crossfit after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Although your desire to return to full exercise is understandable and commendable, you will be much better off listening to your plastic surgeon's advise as opposed to what you hear or read elsewhere. With due respect to other sources, the only resource that you should heed will be your plastic surgeon's,  who knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, what you are planning on doing ( in terms of exercise etc.) and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Continue to exercise PATIENCE.  Best wishes.

+1

Incisions reach 90% of their maximum healing strength by 6 weeks (note this is not as strong as unoperated tissue), and that is the basis for the 6 week delay for return to full normal activity. 

But this may not be enough of a delay for all patients and all activities. Many surgeons ask for 3 months before body builders return to full activity. A lot of the improvement that occurs is due to abdominal wall tightening, and that is susceptible to breakdown from hard vigorous activities even after 6 weeks. 

I would yield to your surgeon's advice. All the best. 

Recovery after Mommy makeover

+1

Hi Crossfit Mama

Great work on addressing your body shape to fit your lifestyle and activities.

All surgeons have a plan for return to exercise that tries to balance getting you going again, but not starting so early that you are uncomfortable or break their work. At 8 weeks post op I do allow my patients full return to exercise, but I can appreciate why your surgeon may request you to wait another month.

Something to consider is the intensity of cross fit, and the lack of standardisation. Your gym WODs could be anywhere from sissy to brutal compared to other gyms and varies from day to day. That lack of standardisation makes it difficult to predict the stress that will be put through your abdominal repair. Spending a month just running will be less distressing than tearing your abdominal muscle repair, and possibly needing revisionary surgery and starting your recovery from scratch.

Your surgeon only wants the best result for you - after all someone like you is their best advertisement if everything goes perfectly. Embrace the opportunity to work on pre cardiovascular fitness for a while, and you'll be even more keen to restart your cross fit when you get the green light.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Plastic Surgeon & Triathlete

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

CrossFit Mama

+1

Hello Crossfit mama,

The healing process after surgery is a very unique to everyone.

Normally after a tummy tuck, I always reccommend waiting 6 weeks before exercising. You mentioned having several procedures done which will add to your healing time. I would listen to your plastic surgeon because he has been talking care of you post-opertively and knows what would be best for you.

I commend your fervor for crossfit training.

Good luck to you and happy healing.

James C. Pietraszek, MD

Waiting 12 weeks after Mommy Makeover before Crossfit

+1

Thanks for posting this question regarding when to resume crossfit after mommy makeover. Every surgeon has his or her postop regimen that's setup to ensure the patient has an uneventful and complete recovery. Part of tummy tuck procedure requires repair of abdominal muscles if necessary. When the muscle repair is done, it takes 3 months to completely heal and regain enough strength to withstand the strenuous exercises such as crossfit training. If the repair is undone or broke due to resume training too early, it will take away the result obtained from surgery. At 8 weeks postop, you will feel fine physically but internally, there are still healing going on. I would recommend that you talk to your surgeon about it and see what's the reason for holding you back. Hopefully your recovery is uneventful and when it's all healed that you can see the difference and enjoy your new body.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS