What are my options for these types of acne scars on my face since I have brown skin? (Photo)

I have had acne on and off for over 15 years and it has resulted in numerous scars. I am Latina. Therefore have "ethnic"/brown skin. Acne has wreaked havoc on my overall quality of life. I have scars on my back as well, but would like to take care if the ones on my face first. I finished my 2nd course of accutane and need to wait until June (6 mos.) for any procedures, even glycolic facials. Thank you for your help.

The best solution for an acne scar patient with darker skin is the Infini

+1
The Infini is a microneedling fractional radiofrequency (MFR) device that is safe for all skin types.  There is minimal to no risk of pigmentation issues, minimal or no downtime, and its very effective.  You would need several treatments, but it is now my go to device for scars on a darker skin person.  See blog and video.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Fractional Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scars

+1
Hi SF Girl.  We absolutely would recommend fractional laser resurfacing.  Whether you use eMatrix like Dr. Green or the Sciton Profile at our office, fractional laser resurfacing would be a good option.  

Just because a practice is offering fractional laser resurfacing does not mean you will get good results.  The person offering the procedure makes all the difference and in your situation, we would recommend a deep resurfacing (up to 1000 microns or 1 mm) because of the deep scars you have.  This means significant anesthesia procedures (not just numbing cream) and a week of recovery.  

See below for acne scar before and after pictures.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Acne Scars with dark skin and eMatrix

+1
I have had great success with the eMatrix laser.  EMatrix consists of a laser that works via radiofreqency heat to build up new collagen in the scars.  I love this laser not just for acne scars on the face but acne scars on the back.  You must wait 6 months after finishing Accutane to have this laser.  Please make sure to have a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in lasers to have the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD