Is Salicylic Acid Peel 20% or Jessner Peel Safe for African-Americans with Acne?

Is it true that.. Salicylic acid peel 20% or Jessner's peel safe for African American skin? I have a light brown skin complexion with mild acne on my face and back.

Which peels are safe in darker skin

+1

Sal acid and Jessner's peels are very safe in darker skin.  The only precaution, is that one may have some additional irritation if one has been using a retin-a before the treatment and with more irritation, one could fathom some postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.  Talk to your physician about whether you should stop any topical meds before the treatement.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

As an Africian American Board Certified Dermatologist

+1

As an African American board certified dermatologist, I have a great deal of experience treating African American and skin of color in general.  I find Salicylic acid, Glycolic acid and Jessner solution to all work well.  I will also sometimes combine these peels with Microdermabrasion and products for accelerated and more comprehensive results.  The type and strength of the peel used will be determined by several factors: retained dead skin cell thickness, skin tone and texture, degree of oiliness and congestion, degree of skin sensitivity, and hormonal status, among other factors.

In your search for a practitioner to guide you in this venture, I would definitely seek a specialist who understands and has a solid background in treating skin of color!  It matters!!!

Windell Davis Boutte, MD, Medical Director, Lilburn, GA

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Jessner and Salicylic Acid Peels great for Acne in African-Americans

+1

These 2 peels are very safe and effective for both acne and hyperpigmentation.  I routinely employ them as part of acne therapy in all skin types, including African-American skin.  I acutally routinelyl use a 25%-35% salicylic acid peel, and have treated hundred of African-Americans safely.  Be sure you consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon with experience in chemical peeling of skin of color.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon