Is It Safe to Use Botox After Having Guillian-Barre?

Botox is the only thing that helps my migraines and my severe interstitial cystitis pain. But, before I go back to using them I want to make sure it's safe with having developed Guillian-Barre in January 2013.

GBS an Botox

+1

Many neurologists treat migraine headache with Botox. Since they are the experts about GBS you should pose this question to them. I would NOT use it.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not a good idea

+1

Botox is a neurotoxin and inhibits muscle conduction. In a patient with history of GBS, this is a contraindication, due to the nature of GBS. I would not feel as though the potential side effects administering Botox to a patient with GBS would outweigh the reason for treatment. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Botox and Guilllian Barre

+1

Botox is not recommended for patients who have had Guillian Barre.  I would talk with my doctor about alternative treatments for your migraines and cystitis.  Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Is it safe to inject Botox after Guillian-Barre?

+1

Agree with Dr. Morgan.  It is not recommended and is not worth the risk in my opinion.  Consider a surgical resection of the corrugators either through a browlift or through upper blepharoplasty incision. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is Botox safe after Guillan Barre

+1

Thank you for asking if Botox is safe if you have had Guillan Barre syndrome.

1. Botox is not recommended for people with muscular-skeletal diseases, including Guillan Barre.
  2. The FDA reports that 0.21% of people reporting Botox side-effects, report developing Guillan Barre after the injections. It appeared within a month of the injection. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD