Should I Wear a Sleep Bra at Night to Keep Breast Implants in Position?

I'm 4 months post-op with 450cc Saline unders. Should I sleep in a bra to keep the implants in position? I'm afraid that sleeping on my side or back might cause the implants to migrate to places they shouldn't be. My PS didn't think I should worry about this and left the decision up to me.

Implant Malpositioning While Sleeping - Do I Need A Bra?

+2

At 4 months post surgery, wearing a bra to bed, in my opinion, will have little effect on implant positioning.  Sleeping on your back for the first 2 weeks is a great idea to decrease implant malpositioning.  I do not have my patients wear a bra for the first month after surgery, and only an ace wrap to keep the implants from riding up.  Side to side malpositioning has never been an issue in my practice. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Bra after breast augmentation

+1
I recommend you wear a bra for the first eight weeks of recovery, day and night, to minimize the risk of displacement. However, you should really ask your surgeon, as they may have different guidelines

By now, most likely your implants have settled and yous hold be okay to sleep in whatever position you'd like. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Sleeping positions after a breast augmentation

+1

After a couple of weeks you will not need any kind of bra for sleeping , unless you feel more comfortable that way.  You can sleep in any position without fear of implant migration after two or three weeks.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

4 months after breast augmentation

+1

By 4 months after breast augmentation surgery, you can really be comfortable to sleep anyway you want.

Wearing a bra at night following a breast augmentaiton

+1

At 4 months post op the capsule around the implant is well formed and you should not need any extra support at night.  I would wear a support bra when exercising.  If you desire there is no down side to wearing a bra at night.  

Wear a Bra after Breast Augmentation?

+1
At this point, I think that you will be fine either way. On the other hand, always  best to use your own judgment; if you feel that the breast implants “displace” significantly in different positions sleeping,  it may be best to wear a bra...

+1

I would yield to the advice of your surgeon who has followed your recovery. By four months the capsule around the implant is well formed, and the support that may be important early on is no longer so.

All the best. 

Bra after breast augmentation

+1

At 4 months post-op you should not need to use a bra.  The implant pocket is well-defined within 10-14 days after surgery.  Further bra use after this time may be indicated only if you are trying to modify the pocket but pocket modification is less likely to occur with bra use after 3-4 weeks post-op.

Clyde H. Ishii, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping in a Bra at Night

+1

I would tend to agree with your plastic surgeon on this as you should have stable scar tissue.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA