50 Too Old for Breast Implants?

I'm turning 50 this year, still in good shape but feeling gravity all over! Can I still have breast implant surgery and what would reasonable expectations be for a woman my age?

Go For It!

+5

You are not alone. It is quite common for women in their late 40s and early 50s to have breast implants. It actually makes good sense because this is often the time when women have less family obligations and are then able to begin focusing on themselves.

From a plastic surgeon's standpoint, as long as you are healthy, 50 is still young. I think this is a great time for you to spoil youself and feel good about the way you look. You are definitely not alone and I think you will be so happy with your decision to proceed forward once you find the doctor that is right for you.

Happy Birthday! Age in itself is not a contraindication for breast enhancement.

+3

About 20% of my augmentation patients are in this age group. Many women think that because gravity was not kind to them, that an augmentation will fix this. If you think that in a bra you have enough breast volume, than a lift might be more appropriate. If you feel that you would like more fullness on top to balance the hips, thae an augmentation might be the better choice. The better your skin elasticity, thickness and lack of stretch marks, the better the results. Also, remember that if you decide to have an augmentation, there will be at least another operation in your life time related to the first surgery. Good luck!

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants are not age-specific

+3

As long as you accept the fact that breast implants are not permanent solutions in that changes will continue to occur to your breasts such as sagging, changes in volume and quality of your overlying soft tissues. and ongoing concerns with cancer detection, you may still be a good candidate for breast implants.

Whether you will need a lift as well or whether the implants by themselves can produce the results beneficial to you should be addressed by your plastic surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Implants At Any Age

+2

Your birthdate is not as important as your overall health.

If you are healthy and active, you may be a candidate for an electivr cosmetic procedure.

See a board-certified plastic surgeeon to discuss your goals and determine if you are a good candidate fir breast implant surgery.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Age: Performing Breast Augmentation over the age of 50

+2

There are several things we would consider when planning breast augmentation surgery at any age:

• The overall health of the patient
  • Anatomic characteristics of the breast
  • Skin quality
  • Nipple position
  • Body proportions and harmony

Age is not a reflection of body image or the need to feel 'sexy.' If you feel you need more volume in the breasts to acheive more harmony in body proportion, a board certified plastic surgeon should evaluate your medical condition and anatomic characteristics that would make you a good or bad candidate.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Too old for breast implants??

+2

There is no age limit on implants.

Instead, in my practice, the issues we focus on are:

• Are you healthy enough for surgery?
  • Do you have realistic expectations for the outcome?
  • What type of implant will best suit your needs?
  • What are your physical and physiologic characteristics and how can we get the best result taking those into consideration?

... In other words, the same things we consider for all breast augmentation patients.

Here are some things that can be different for patients aged 50 and over, that I try to pay particular attention to:

• Most people in this age group have some degree of breast ptosis (sagging), which must be taken into consideration to provide a good outcome.
  • Have you received a mammogram? Patients at an age for routine mammograms who are considering breast surgery should have had a recent mammogram.
  • Is your skin elasticity poor?

Find a good board certified plastic surgeon and have a complete evaluation.

Good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Our oldest patient who elected breast implants was just short of age 70!

+2

As we baby boomers age, we are redefining the age limits on many procedures. Our criteria for excluding patients is not based on age. Rather, we want our patients to lead healthy lifestyles and have no major medical problems. So if you are a healthy 50 or 60 year-old patient, we welcome you in our Wine Country/Marin plastic surgery practice for breast implants. We actually find that the "older" patients end up having less pain and recovering just as quickly, if not more quickly, than some of our younger patients. So have a mammogram before breast implants, have realistic goals, and anything is still possible if you are a 50+ year-old seeking breast enhancement.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Age is just a number

+2

Dear Mtn-mama,

Age 50 is considered young in my book. There is no magic age above which you shouldn't have breast implants.

If you are healthy and have no contraindications to the surgery, you can readily and safely undergo breast augmentation.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area will determine what is necessary to get you to your goal, i.e., you may need a breast lift, as well as, or instead of breast implants.

Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Age is relative

+2

Hi there-

The short answer to your question is definitely NO. I have successfully enhanced the breasts of women older than yourself- with a great deal of patient satisfaction.

The most important issue is really not your age, but your state of health. As long as you are healthy and have a good understanding of your goals, the procedure and its likely outcome, recovery, and risks, you are a good candidate.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon you like and think you can work with and discuss your options and candidacy for the procedure.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

As long as you are healthy there really is no age limit on breast implants

+2

I don't believe that there is an age limit for breast implant surgery. I have performed primary augmentation mamoplasty on patients as old as 76.

Older folks may have medical indications that would prohibit elective cosmetic surgery but there is no reason to deny them the chance to have their breast enlarged. There is also a higher chance that they may need additional surgery to simultaneously lift their breast or reshape their breast.

Those older folks have been every bit as happy as my younger patients.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD