Dorsal Hump Removal to Improve Breathing?

I have a very tall, thin nose with a large dorsal hump. I have had difficulties with breathing for years now, and at long last I have received a referral to the hospital. My surgeon stated that it would be a good way forward to have Septoplasty and turbinate Rhinoplasty surgery first to see if this shall help my breathing. Because I have a very tall thin nose, I think this surgery shall have no real effect because the side of my nose will still close in towards the centre, thus affecting my breathing. Any advice?

Rhinoplasty is considered cosmetic

+1

A rhinoplasty will not help with the breathing out of your nose. However, a septoplasty and/or turbinate surgery will help with the breathing component of your nasal function. A rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time as the breathing surgery but is not covered by any medical insurance.

It won't help correct your airway.

+1

See a rhinoplasty expert who is familiar with airway problems to correct any septal or turbinate problem. Removing the hump won't improve your nasal airway.

Hump Removal Will Not Improve Your Breathing

+1

In fact in cases of a relatively thin nose with a projecting dorsum removal of the hump may adversely affect  the nasal airway unless other corrective steps are taken by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Airway obstruction

+1

You are correct, the dorsal hump does not play any role in breathing. The turbinated, on the back floor of the nose, can improve breathing if they are reduced in size. When a patient has a tall narrow nose spreader grafts, at the valve area, usually are the largest contributer to improved breathing. Ask about this good luck!

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)