Rhinoplasty Options for Wide Nose Bridge?

I have a very wide nose bridge and wanted to know what could be done. I have always hated my nose because I feel its too wide, what are some of my options?

Ethnic rhinoplasty to reduce nose width

+4
An ethnic rhinoplasty can be performed to reduce the width. This would involve osteotomies of the nasal bones to reduce the nasal bridge width, an alar base reduction to bring in the nostrils and various suturing techniques to narrow the nasal tip. This could all be done through a closed rhinoplasty under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties including ethnic rhinoplasty.

African American Rhinoplasty

+4

Hi,

The best way to narrow the width of your nose is to narrow your nasal bones and place a custom carved nasal implant. The height of the implant will make your nose look more narrow just a higher mountain would look more narrow than a short  mountain when looking from the top.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+3

Various methods are available to narrow the nasal bones.  Many can be done without external scarring.  Your main concern is to see a nasal surgeon with a broad experience in rhinoplasty. Many  aesthetic  plastic  surgeons  feel  rhinoplasty  is  the  most  artistic and difficult cosmetic surgical procedure. I agree. Every change the surgeon makes has three-dimensional aspects that instantly alter other areas of the nose, like the ripple effect from a single stone cast into a quiet pond. As if that wasn’t enough, the nose swells during the procedure, obscuring landmarks, and some- times heals unpredictably. A limited number of experts specialize in rhinoplasty, so do your homework. With rhinoplasty, the touch-up rate is a solid 15 percent nationally.

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Wide nasal bridge

+3

I would really need to see photos to give you the best advice. For a wide nose bridge, osteotomies may be performed (narrowing of the nasal bones). Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Many options for a narrower nasal bridge

+3

Although relatively thick skin can limit the results of any maneuver to narrow the bridge (dorsum), there are some tricks to creating better proportion here. In addition to narrowing the nasal bones with osteotomies, it's often helpful to add a meticulously carved dorsal onlay graft, ideally fashioned from the patient's own cartilage.

Care has to be taken, though, to avoid creating other disproportions in the process such as a radix that's too high (where the root of the nose meets the forehead) or a tip that seems too broad. A good rhinoplastic surgeon should be able to give you a sense of what's realistic for your particular nose.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide nose and rhinoplasty

+3

Hi Kendra,

Your nose can definitely be refined by reducing the nasal bridge width, the base of the nose, and the tip. In thicker skin, the results are more subtle and your swelling may last longer. See a board-certified plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon in your area and be sure to ask for before/afters to get a sense of how different skin types respond to surgery. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Options for wide nose bridge

+2

A well-performed Rhinoplasty should improve the contour of your entire nose, not just the wide bridge. It should be the objective of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to give you a better defined and a more delicate nose that will match the features of your face.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty options for a wide nasal bridge

+2

Below are three options for a nose with a wide bridge.

1) Break the nasal bones and move them closer together.
2) Placing a cartilage graft on the bridge will move the bridge further from the face and appear narrower.
3) A combination of the two above methods.

The best cartilage grafts are from your own cartilages, either from septal cartilage inside your nose or cartilage from between your ribs. Ear cartilage is too convoluted and in time will produce irregularities on your bridge. Rib cartilage will give the most increase in height but must be carved carefully so it is rounded on the top and gives a natural shape.

From your photograph your nose appears wide and you should remember that the best appearing nose for you is one that is natural looking and in proportion with the surrounding facial features. The different parts of the nose (body and tip) should also be proportional so that if your bridge is made narrower, the tip should be made narrower also. I hope this helps.

Jack P. Gunter, MD

Making a wide nose bridge narrow depends on the height

+2

Your wide bridge can be treated but the solution depends on whether you have a high or low bridge which is best seen from the side view. In the former, the bridge is lowered and the sides are brought together to make the nose look narrower. In the case of a low bridge, a graft is added to create height and give the appearance of a narrow nose.

There are a number of ways to narrow the bridge of the nose

+2

A wide nasal bridge may be from just that, wide nasal bones. The nasal bones make up the upper third of the nose. However if the nasal bones are very small, as is common in African American noses, narrowing them often has little effect. Sometimes actually raising the profile of the nose by adding what is called a dorsal graft can make the bridge appear narrower. The rest of the nose can be made more slender as well yet not sacrifice ethnicity.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD