Will Nasolabial Angle Reduce After Rhinoplasty?

Is it true that after a Rhinoplasty, the nasolabial angle reduces as time progresses?

Tip Rotation after Rhinoplasty

+1

The naso-labial angle always looks excessive immediately after surgery. I think the main cause is swelling of the upper lip. I always warn my patients pre-operatively to avoid anxiety after the procedure.

Amount of Tip Rotation Can Change in the Early Recovery Period

+1

In the first several weeks following rhinoplasty, the nose often looks "too upturned". This is because the edema (swelling) and the post-operative cast/splint can cause the nasolabial to be increased. This usually decreases in the first several weeks after surgery. After that time, the amount that the tip will tilt backdown is limited.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can if certain techniques are not used during Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, your nasolabial angle can get more acute after your rhinoplasty. This can happen when you interrupt forces that hold your nasal tip up. The exposure that you do can also interrupt forces that hold your tip up. Trimming the top of the tip cartilages and interrupting the connection between the tip cartilages and the lateral cartilages higher in your nose can also cause your tip to descend and decrease the angle.

Also, interrupting the connection of your tip with your septum can also contribute to this drop in your tip and affect the nasolabial angle. The way to prevent this is less trimming of the tip cartilages and the usage of sutures to shape the tip. You also have to make sure to reconstruct the forces that hold the tip up through septal sutures that connect the tip with the septum. A graft in the area under your tip that extends from your tip to the top of your upper lip can increase the nasolabial angle and help maintain it.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon