Did I Damage my Nose After I Hit It Accidentally Post Rhinoplasty?

Six weeks ago I had a Rhinoplasty to remove the bump on top of the bridge, tip graph, and thin overall appearance. I have very thick skin so the swelling is going down very slowly.

Yesterday, I sneezed and hit under my nose with my hand. Today, the tip looks more swollen than it was a couple of days ago. Do you think I did any real damage or most likely did I just aggravate the skin? I have no pain. How long will it take before I know if damage was done? And can anything be done now anyway?

Post-rhinoplasty trauma

+2

It is very unlikely that after 6 weeks you will have caused a problem. By 6 weeks I allow my patients to really go back to almost any activity. However, swelling does occur with activity for several months after the procedure especially if it was performed open. If you are concerned, then I would see your surgeon.

Trauma After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely you did any harm. However continue to be careful during the next several weeks. There is nothing that should be done for the trauma except careful observation. If you want further reassurance schedule an appointment with your surgeon.

Sneezing and touching your nose with your hand will not fracture the nose

+1

Sneezing and touching your nose with your hand will not fracture the nose. Even though you have had your rhinoplasty done six weeks ago, it would take a significant amount of force to fracture the nose. A swollen tip is normal and will go down with time. A nasal x-ray can be performed if the nose bridge looks twisted.

G-d Bless You...Sneezing and Hitting the Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Skylar,

Most likely everything will be okay. There is not anything to do about it at this time anyway. You should call your surgeon and let them know about your concerns, certainly let them know about it at your next visit so it can be recorded on your chart.

In the meantime, work on your hand-nose coordination to avoid further trauma to your nose. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD