Is $16,000 Too Much to Pay for Revisioin Rhinoplasty?

I am having a revision rhinoplasty. I need rib cartilage put in my nose to fix it. Is $16,000 just way too much too pay for this procedure?

Rhinoplasty cost is only one factor.

+2

Price, while understandably important, is not the only factor to consider. Indeed, revisions are often more expensive than primary surgery given the additional time and complexity involved.

Of course, the most expensive surgeon may simply be expensive and a good marketer but not necessarily that good at surgery. OTOH, if the fee seems too far below the average, that may be a signal that something's amiss with that surgeon's abilities (one sells "low-cost" when that's all he has to sell).

Consider, though, the cost of a bad result...not just dollars, but time and disappointment. If a surgeon is asking $16,000 for a revision, do your homework to see if he/she can justify the price: reputation, board certification(s), legal actions, before and after photos, maybe even scientific publications, bedside manner, frequency of follow-up visits, years in practice, where he/she trained, talk to other patients, etc., etc.

--DCP

P.S. Don't bother asking the surgeon "how many have you done?" Exactly what number are you looking for? And besides, it's also impossible to verify.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

$16,000 Rhinoplasty

+2

A difficult revision rhinoplasty, especially with rib cartilage grafts, costs significantly more than a primary procedure. I have not seen your nose; the fee may be appropriate. Whether or not the fee is a problem for you, it might be wise to get a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Cost of revision rhinoplasty

+2

The cost of revision rhinoplasty can vary quite a bit depending on the level of surgery and the time it takes to achieve the results you may be looking for. Sometimes, rib cartilage is required and others a minor revision is all that is needed. Also, the second or third operation is always more difficult. The surgeon should be a focus on rhinoplasty and experience with revision work. As a result, the cost can get high.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Generally speaking, the cost of any revision surgery will be more than the primary procedure. In addition, rhinoplasty is generally considered among the most difficult procedures in aesthetic surgery.  Lastly, costs vary significantly based on your geographic area, the setting of the procedure (hospital vs. surgery center), and the surgeon's experience. Perhaps the most important factor in your decision, however, is your relationship with the surgeon and a shared understanding of your goals. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/revision-rhinoplasty.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate fee for revision rhinoplasty

+1

This is bit of a loaded question since so many variables exist that affect the price beyond geographical variation, surgeon, and complexity of the revision.  And unfortunately with rhinoplasty the idiom "you get what you pay for" is not always true.  $16,000 is in the average range for a revision rhinoplasty with rib cartilage harvest.  When it comes to your nose, price should not be the deciding factor.  Do you like your surgeon and have faith in her/him?  Do you believe in her/his work?  If so, that's certainly a reasonable price.  

Rhinoplasty Fees

+1

Surgical Fees will vary widely across the country and even in the same city.  If after consulting 3 surgeons in your area and the ranges are comparable, then you will know that figure is reasonable for your area.

Technical skills required may justify Revision Rhinoplasty cost

+1

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult plastic and cosmetic surgery procedure and revision Rhinoplasty can be a quantum level more difficult than a primary Rhinoplasty.  I have performed very difficult revision Rhinoplasties at similar fees.  Sometimes the technical skill required on a Revision Rhinoplasty is astounding.  I am however, not a fan of using rib cartilage for any Rhinoplasty because it has a tendency to dissolve unevenly over the years and so, I prefer to use other materials.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Revision Rhinoplasty cost

+1

Seems a bit high to me. I am not certain what your particular situation requires but as I mention, this is a substantial amount of money.

How much is revision rhinoplasty with rib graft

+1

If this consists of the entire price (surgeon's fees, facility, anesthesia, lab services, etc,) then it is within reason if your surgery is complicated and requires rib graft. Much of this cost may entail additional fees incurred for a procedure including more time than a traditional primary rhinoplasty.